• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An Android device I'd love to see

johnkzin

Sep 28, 2008
Someone on one of the many android sites suggested that maybe we'd start to see all of those cheap knock off phones from China start running Android soon. Well, today, I stumbled across this little gem:

t580i

And I thought "that's ALMOST a device I could see running android on". With the following changes:

(obviously, get android onto it)

1) Increase the screen resolution to 320x480

2) Give it at least 256MB ROM, 192MB RAM

3) add AT&T or T-Mobile-USA UMTS/HSPA to it (preferably both), and EDGE.

4) Change the OK key to a "Control" key

5) Change the key between "OK" and "Space" to "Search".

6) Change the "envelope" key to a "menu" key

7) Change the key that has a Chinese character to say "ALT" (I assume that's what it is: the key for invoking the blue symbols)

8) Change the two "soft" buttons on the face (the "-" buttons) to "Home" and "Back"

9) Add a "menu" key to the button area (probably between the screen and the d-pad

10) add a wifi interface (even if that means removing the TV and/or FM tuner)

11) if possible, make it quad-band GSM instead of tri-band

I think that'd be a great basis for an android phone (with or without the TV/FM tuners). It's a tilt screen, side-slide, dual SIM card phone. It already has tri-band GSM, and it looks like it has a decent keyboard. It's of similar size to the G1 (thicker, though), and it has almost twice the battery capacity, it appears. (though, without knowing its power consumption, I can't tell you what the battery lifetime would be)

If they got all of that done, I'd probably buy one just to see if it turned out ok.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones