• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An APP for teking photo and video privately

He means taking pictures and videos in a way that no one near him can tell that he's doing it. Which is very illegal in some places. They didn't put the artificial "click" on the camera app because users were begging for it, it's legally required in some places that when a camera takes a picture, it makes a sound like a camera taking a picture. (I'm surprised that the same idiots who pass laws like that one don't make it a requirement that making a video requires a whirring noise, like the old movie cameras used to make.)

Upvote 0
He means taking pictures and videos in a way that no one near him can tell that he's doing it. Which is very illegal in some places. They didn't put the artificial "click" on the camera app because users were begging for it, it's legally required in some places that when a camera takes a picture, it makes a sound like a camera taking a picture. (I'm surprised that the same idiots who pass laws like that one don't make it a requirement that making a video requires a whirring noise, like the old movie cameras used to make.)
I finally found an APP. Hidden camera can do what I requested. I relied on myself again. :p:p:p:p:p:p

Upvote 0
They didn't put the artificial "click" on the camera app because users were begging for it, it's legally required in some places that when a camera takes a picture, it makes a sound like a camera taking a picture.

I'm not aware of any camera that uses fake sounds that can't be switched off in the settings (and I've used many, many such cameras - first thing I do is turn off the noises) so why should a phone camera be any different? Are there laws somewhere that applies to phone cameras but not to "camera" cameras?

All very odd.

Upvote 0
Dunno. Lots of variation in phone and camera designs, I've used phone-shaped (and sized) cameras and phones that you definitely notice if they're pointed at you. It's the way the user holds the thing that gives it away not the device itself.

This whole "phone cameras must make a click sound but actual cameras can be silent" thing has me beat. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Upvote 0
I relied on myself again.

Good for you. Please remember that nobody here is obliged to help, especially if they have doubts as to the ethics of a request.

Are there laws somewhere that applies to phone cameras but not to "camera" cameras?

There is in S Korea, and in Japan manufacturers voluntarily agreed to mandatory sound in camera phones due to privacy concerns.

Upvote 0
There are as many laws as there are jurisdictions, so "are there laws somewhere" is usually yes, regardless of how silly the law may sound. (It's still the law, in most of the US, that someone has to precede a motor vehicle - on foot - with a lamp, to let everyone know that a motor vehicle is coming [so you can start calming your horse to make sure it doesn't panic]. It's not enforced, but is there such a law? There sure is.) There are probably still laws that require you to unstring your crossbow before entering certain places.

Once a law gets put on the books, it usually stays there, because by the time it becomes too silly to enforce, no one wants to bother to sue to have it removed.

So there very well be laws somewhere that cameras that are in cellphones have to make a "camera-like" noise when taking a picture. And if one place a manufacturer sells its phones has such a law, it's simpler to just put that feature into all phones, than to maintain one stock for that place and a different stock (exactly the same except for the sound) for everywhere else. (It's cheaper for the manufacturer too.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones