• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An app that doesn't waste your time?

vapp

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm working a new Android messaging app, and to test my idea, I have a few questions for which I'd love to hear what you have to say.
  1. Do you feel that you spend too much time on your messaging apps?
  2. Are many of your conversations productive?
  3. Would you like it if conversations were short and to the point? If so, with what kind of people would you want this (ie your friends, family, colleagues, etc...)?
  4. Do you love the mute notifications feature on apps like Whatsapp?

I appreciate your time - feel free to PM me or reply on this thread. Thanks!

Aside from muting notifications, how would an app address any of these issues? Keeping conversations short, productive, and to the point, and spending less time using a messaging app are all functions/failures of the user, not the app being used.

A don't see the questions you ask relate to the quality or style of a messaging app. Seems the only way to address those concerns would be via the people I message with.:thinking:

You both are absolutely right. Nowadays most of us are sending messages without abandon, but that has its side effects - constantly being glued to our phones, conversations that drag on for longer than necessary, frivolous conversations with no goal, getting distracted from our work, fewer purposeful and meaningful interactions, etc...

There are definitely scenarios where messaging makes the most sense, but people have gotten too used to using it inefficiently as their main communication channel.

To address this, I'm working on an app that helps drive conversations to the point, and one way is by limiting the number of messages in a conversation. If what needs to be said can't be articulated in a few messages, it makes sense to pick up the phone or have a face to face conversation. The goal is to help people have better conversations in a shorter time, so that they can get off their phones and back to enjoying life :)

Would this app help you, and would you use it?

Upvote 0
You're right. I probably send less than 100 texts per month, and there's usually no response necessary other than confirmation of receipt, and that's often unnecessary. "On my way", "I'm here" (to pick you up), "Next practice is Tuesday @ noon" are about the extent of my texting.

When I expect a dialog, my first instinct is to call, but more than anything else, that's probably a result of me being raised during a time when my choices were calling or mailing a letter.

I've heard arguments that texting allows each party to continue the conversion as their circumstances permit, but that turns what could be a 30 second phone call into a prolonged, disjointed series of texts that requires you to get your brain back on the subject multiple times. A phone call is far more efficient.

Unfortunately, I think an app that's restrictive like you mention will price unpopular since it would require people to change their behavior. Those who want to do so can do it without the app, those who don't want to won't use the app. That said, I applaud any effort to steer people in a more sensible direction.

Upvote 0
I've heard similar opinions from many people, but what's most encouraging is that people are willing to give it a shot since they are genuinely concerned with this trend. Changing our habits is always an uphill battle, but at the end it should make our lives better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Tbh it's not an app i would use/need.. I send a message if and when I choose to.. I dont need an app telling me to call a person or refuse to send a message when it decides :)

That's a good point since most of us feel we know what's appropriate and when :)

What about when you're on the other side of the conversation- you receive messages from a lot of people but don't have the time or interest to continue the conversation?

Upvote 0
That's a good point since most of us feel we know what's appropriate and when :)

What about when you're on the other side of the conversation- you receive messages from a lot of people but don't have the time or interest to continue the conversation?

I continue the conversation later at a more convenient time. Many messaging services do have a "Do not disturb." or "Busy." feature, which I can use for the reasons stated, and the persons I'm conversing with can see that as well.

I often use messaging for many reasons, business, talking to friends, and just generally to be social. One reason being, international phone calls can be horribly expensive from a mobile, unless using VOIP, and it may not be convenient for a person to actually talk but messaging can be done discretely and silently, if required. Also going to actually see them is not convenient or practical either, because they're in a different country or just a long way away anyway. When I was in the UK a couple of times this summer, I was messaging very much all the time.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

Then I just don't reply lol. To me that's the beauty of texting.. The conversation goes at my pace and I can continue it if and when I like :)

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones