1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

An app to disconnect from the internet

Last Updated:

1. Rob Jones

Rob Jones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know of an app that will automatically disconnect me from the internet after say an hour?

I 'pay and go' regarding surfing and 20 hours a month is enough (I have wifi in my apartment and a computer at work all day) so the 20 hours is to just check email and football results etc.

Last night I forgot to switch off and this morning, yep you guessed it, I lost all my hours for the month

There must be an app for this, but I cant find it.

Anyone any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. lifeonmtv

lifeonmtv Well-Known Member

once again, you can set up tasker to do this :)

3. Rob Jones

The thing is I cant get 'paid for' apps in the country that I live, Thailand

4. lifeonmtv

hmmm, you can buy it directly from the developer instead of through the market, it's actually cheaper too.

download page

ordering faq

Hopefully this will work, if not maybe someone else can point you in the direction of a free app that does what you're after.

I'm guessing a mobile data toggle (such as APNdroid) wouldn't be enough if you forget to switch it off.

Maybe juice defender free version has an option like this, can someone else confirm?

Rob Jones likes this.
  5. AceMathias

AceMathias Well-Known Member

I use Juice defender free and i have it set so that it only accesses the internet once every 15 mins whilst i have the phone in stand by, so this may help for you.

6. deanshep85

deanshep85 Well-Known Member

wait....hold on..theres an app for doing something you can ALREADY do in the phone? :confused: turning the data off is done in the settings menu in wireless or just long press the off button...why is there a seperate app? or does the app do more than just this?

7. lifeonmtv

it's a toggle widget so you can switch on/off from a homescreen by tapping it

plenty of toggle widgets for many things, i use one called switchpro and recommend it.

8. deanshep85

you know theres already the widget built into the phone....why the need for a seperate app?

hell I used the default mobile connections widget on my screens when im out an about and dont want the hassle of connection.

9. lifeonmtv

i didn't realize the stock widget had a data toggle.

switchpro has heaps of other toggles which make it worth it imo,

Wi-Fi
    Mount/Unmount
    Wi-Fi HotspotData Connection
    Bluetooth
    Brightness
    GPS
    Auto-sync
    Auto-Rotate
    Screen Always On
    Airplane Mode
    Reload SD Card
    Vibration/Silent Mode
    3G-2G (shortcut)
    Battery Indicator
    Flashlight
    Unlock Pattern
    Reboot(rooted)
    Speaker Mode
    Auto-Screen Lock
    4G Toggle

you can also customize the number of switches per widget (up to 8 in one widget i think), the color, background of the widget etc

but anyway, other than tasker i can't think of any free app that can detect it on its own and do it automatically, let alone a free one :(

10. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

First, the OP asked for an app that would do it automatically. He doesn't want to have to remember to press a widget.

Second, the APNDroid app turns off mobile data a different way, forcing it to stay off. This is useful if you have things in your phone that like to turn it on automatically.

11. Rob Jones

Yes amlothi, the problem is if I forget (I know its sounds dopey, but it does happen) to turn off the internet. Its a bummer when you wake up the next morning and go to check your email and your months allocation has been used. I thought ther might be something a sstandard with the Desire, rather than an app, but cant find anything:(

12. deanshep85

I know he was asking for automatic app rather than a manual...the post you quoted me on was actually referring to another poster not the original.

Secondly I didnt think there were any apps that would FORCE the internet back on...I mean nothing I use including auto syncs etc force the internet to turn on again UNLESS I accept when they say they need it...but nothing yet auto switches it on..what apps FORCE the internet back on?

13. lifeonmtv

tasker

and probably locale and settings profiles as well.

14. dan44762000

dan44762000 Well-Known Member

i,m just curious how yoiu can use all your hours (20) by leaving a phone on overnight. theres only 24 hours in a day .
    in my estimation you would sleep for max of 8-10 from time of going to bed.
    so how can u use all your hours ? ?

15. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

If you want to automate it with one App, I'd recommend Juice Defender.

If you like tinkering and understand a little about programming, I'd recommend Tasker. However, for Tasker to control data, you would also need APNDroid. Tasker is a pd app (but very nominal for it's unbelievable functionality). APNDroid is free.

With help from Profiles - Tasker Wiki, my phone automatically changes profiles depending on time of day, location, or state (e.g., headset connected, apps used, etc.). Awesome. If you used Tasker, you'd just modify the Sleep profile to control data, so you don't ever inadvertently leave your data connection on overnight again.

If you want something out of the box, easy, use JD. You actually would need to buy UltimateJuice to get full use of it's scheduling and data connection controls.

16. amlothi

I use Tasker. Others use Juice Defender.

For example, on my phone, when my Wifi disconnects (e.g. I leave home), the phone will turn on mobile data automatically.

When using Tasker, I can set mobile data to be off using the System Setting for mobile data. However, it will only turn off mobile data at the time that the profile activates. It will not maintain mobile data off when other events try to turn it on.

Using APNdroid (it works with Tasker too) I can force mobile data to stay disconnected until I want it turned back on.

There are multiple ways that the system can turn on/off mobile data, so using APNdroid makes it easy to force it to stay off even when something else wants to turn it on.

Note: APNDroid doesn't work with CDMA phones. Unless they have fixed that recently.

17. deanshep85

wow....it must be different for unlocked/unbranded phones over in the UK and europe or something cos that NEVER happens to me...if I turn mobile data off it STAYS off until I force it back on.

18. iDR0ID

iDR0ID Active Member

unless this was done later in the month, when you only have 6 hours left and THEN you go to sleep for 8 hours

19. amlothi

Yes, if you want to manually uncheck the setting every time.

I'm not sure why, but the way that Tasker disables mobile data (without using APN Droid) is limited by Android, and it can get turned on automatically.

Do you use tasker? Just go to a Task, click to add the Mobile Data action, and click the ? icon. It will explain it in more detail for you. It's actually in the help text for that action that Android itself, and many Google Apps, are known to re-enable mobile data. That's where I am getting my information from.

Also, I have an unlocked, unbranded UK version phone.

20. deanshep85

nope I dont use tasker, juice defender or anything like that....my data connection never gets reconnected at all...it just stays off....I only ever get messages when I say for example to use net through a game or market etc, then it just ASKS if I want to switch it back on...nothing forces it back on without my say so...and I have things turned to auto sync etc...they just cant force the connection if I use the default "mobile connection" widget.

21. Rob Jones

You are assuming that the 20 hours started the day I forgot to turn it off.
    Remember if you cant add value to the thread dont bother posting in it, Im not a liar:p

22. deanshep85

lol oh gotta love silly humour..

anyway I dont think he thinks your lying..just from the original post it kinda seemed like you said that 20 hours had gone over night lol ;):D:p

23. Rob Jones

Took the smile off is face though, ;)

an App to stop me losing paid for hours on the internet, any more rec's?

24. Rob Jones

Mate I dont want it switched on, I can do that myself I want it to switch off after a set time for when I forget to turn the internet off

25. deanshep85

I know :rolleyes: the post you just quoted me on WASN'T actually to do with you...it was to do with another poster saying that certain apps he has FORCES the phone to turn the mobile connection back on...I was enquiring which ones, as my phone doesnt do that.