An FYI for Moment users once you move alongGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please dont take this as gloating but since ive moved to the DroidX and Verizon the Sprint account has been deactivated. The phone is mine to do with as I please so I fired it up today to see what I could do with it. Obviously, I cant make any calls but it does connect to wifi and surfs the web. When it booted up I found that there were updates to apps i had loaded as well. Figuring they wouldnt update i tried anyway and sure enough, they updated like normal. So, it appear that the phone will do everything it always did short of having phone service and data. Kinda like an ipod with balls.

Advertisement
    knightprincess13 likes this.
  2. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that with my Moment. It worked fine as long as you didn't have to use that ishtty Samsung radio.

Does the clock still update from the Sprint network, though?

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I could have told you guys that =P. Any phone will work on wifi w/o service.

4. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

That's pretty neat. You could even text people via email to sms in the email client. lol.

5. Iforgit

Iforgit Well-Known Member

If you get real crafty you can use it to talk. Try out the app tikl. It works only over wifi. And uses a phone number, but sprint actually puts a number (mine is like 000000200) in place of your old phone number and the hole things works as long as you are talking to other android users and you have the wifi.

6. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It appears to, had the phone off for a day or so and just fired it up and the time is correct. Weather widget even knows what the temp is.

7. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Greavous- dude! What was I thinking?! I even have a GSM-based handset I use when I'm in Europe that doesn't get get GSM data here (I ain't paying .30c/MB!) and use it the same way- but it doesn't have a keyboard!

Man, since dusting off the Moment and using it on WiFi-only I'd forgotten how much utility this has as a spare Android "Gadget", and kinda disappointed in how I let the enthusiasm of getting an EVO from Google I/O (with a radio that works every time!) just have me totally dis the Moment :)

Oh, for those doing this- go get the application "Network" from the market. There's a button in there called "Turn Off Radio" that you should use after power on once the CDMA radio syncs to the Sprint network and gets the time, that'll save you some battery (and I don't think aGPS works w/o active service, but I'm not sure).

I even installed Fring, which kinda-sorta-works with my Localphone.com SIP service, but it not ready for PrimeTime yet, and I'm looking for instructions to use it with SIPDroid instead; this way I can use it as a VOIP phone.

8. Iforgit

Iforgit Well-Known Member

I've successfully set that up before and used it to make calls (sipgate and 3CXPhone). But like you said, this isn't ready for primetime either and it can be a pain to set up all for nothing. The main issue was the person I called got a constant echo of their own voice which made any conversation practically impossible and overall quality was less than good.

I can't stress the call quality enough on the app above Tikl. The only issue there is you can only be talking to someone on an android phone, but it is amazing how well it works only over wifi.

9. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

My Blackberry wouldn't.

10. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

11. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

Yes it did. It was the 8350i. After I switched to the Moment I fired up the BB and tried to connect to my home WiFi. The error I got was something like "No cellular signal" and it wouldn't connect.

12. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

Neither would my palm pre. Once it was turned off and turned back on, it asked me to sign into my palm account before I could access ANYTHING in the phone. And without a data plan, it wouldn't let me sign in.

13. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

You had to have hard reset your Palm forit to do that. My wife still uses hers from time to time as well for the flashcards app to stduy for school.

14. Sorian

Sorian Well-Known Member

Skype now available for Android phones
    ...You can also call phones at Skype’s great rates – over WiFi or 3G.

So that takes care of the service as long as you stay on WiFi.

It needs an active data connection to get route info, but after that it works (newest map update recommends connecting to WiFi to get route info on first run) just don't tell it you want to change destination without a connection, no joy. I was driving in a rural area that lose all service but GPS still have route info to get me to my destination. Driving back for the first 20-30 minutes was a different story.