An ideaaa, please read.

Last Updated:

1. techobsessive

techobsessive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So at 17 (almost 18), taking Java for two years to program for Android, ive accepted that I just can't get a smart phone. Sad. Im on VZW and have a enV touch, its driving me up a wall. (I also made it go swimming with me..so thats prob. why ). So to cut things short, is it possible to take a Micro Sim card from AT&T put it in a adapter and put it in saay, a nexus one or captivate? What id do is take the no-contract pre-paid data plan of the iPad 3G, most likely the 200MB/month for $15 and use Google Voice and other various VoIP clients to use as phone and GV for texts..I pretty much have WiFi where ever I go and pretty decent AT&T 3G in my area. Yes I know, it's just not that simple. Id have to change the APN on the device to att's broadband. Tweak a heck out the phone, but..
    1.) Is it possible? Ive seen it done for a data only iPhone
    2.) It is legal right?
    Pleaseee answer.

Advertisement
  2. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

You'd have to get the unlocked version but theorectically, it's possible I guess. I'm confused though, why go through all the trouble?? I mean if you're on Verizon take a look at the droids or wait for a fascinate, if you can go ATT then the Captivate is the only way to go. Nexus is a good phone, but I'm not sure why you'd go through the trouble and quite honestly, the risk that it wouldn't work in your favor.

3. ATTme

ATTme Member

No it is not possible.
    AT&T will not just give you a micro sim to do whatever you please. You will have to take a post paid line with a voice plan.

4. techobsessive

Because I cant get a data plan.
    Anow how is it not possible? People have been doing it with iPhones?

5. ATTme

ATTme Member

The data features for prepaid do not work as you describe. you cannot select 200mb or 2gb on a pre paid line like you can for an ipad. Plus there is no way an AT&T store is going to give you a micro sim unless you have an iphone4 or ipad present... Or if you have an Iphone4 on a postpaid line. you cant just stroll in there and ask for a micro sim on prepaid.

6. techobsessive

7. ATTme

ATTme Member

you can go ahead and try but it isnt going to work the way you plan.

8. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

there are 2 micro sims

1 for Ipad
    1 for Iphone

and from the way they describe it at work, they will only work for each model respectively. But if you can figure out how to make it work, you would be a very rich man my friend