1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

An innovative keyboard for Android

Last Updated:

1. Saied

Saied New Member This Topic's Starter

[​IMG]

Hello,

My Name is Saied Nesbat and I am the developer of a new keyboard for Android called MessagEase. MessagEase is currently available as a free app from the Market

MessagEase

Advertisement
  2. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

I have the perfect device to try this out on.

And I believe QWERTY keyboards are designed for 2 fingers, not 10.

3. qqMikeL

qqMikeL New Member

This is something ive been waiting for on my mts3g. Swype is good when u have clear defined paths but when youre typing with the same hand that is holding the phone that becomes difficult. If i hold the phone in one hand and swype with the other then swype is great but at that point im using to hands and would prefer my slideout keyboard. This app uses only short paths making it very easy to type with just my thumb. I havent gotten used to it yet but so far im loving the concept.

4. Sam Voss

Sam Voss Well-Known Member

This is a great concept, downloading as we speak on my Droid.

second this.

5. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Please, show me two fingers typing 95 wpm - not happening. QWERTY was designed for all ten fingers on a typewriter (manual, with the manual return, no less), to slow down the keys to prevent them from jamming all together.

As for MessageEase, it's a great input method I recognize from my Palm days I know many people were very happy with it, give it a try!

6. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

I was skeptical of the idea, but thought, maybe I should give it a try. So far, I kind of like the idea. I certainly need some more practice on it to be certain, but I think I can get the hang of it. The only issue I have had so far is trying to type in the Terminal Emulator. For some reason it kept wanting to capitalize EVERY letter and I had to keep swiping down on the "R" / "shift" key for every letter. Was really annoying. It's possible it's user error since I am very new to the idea (obviously) but I hadn't had this issue in any of the other apps I had tried it in. tock Messenger, Talk, stock Browser, Market place, etc. Not a deal breaker or anything, but thought I would let you know so maybe you might want to look into it. Keep up the good work.

7. jradicle11

In regards to computers, yes. But seeing as we're talking about phones, comparing the speed to a computer isn't even plausible.

8. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

I was responding to this statement:

QWERTY keyboards were designed long before computers, or cell phones, even before me ;)

9. jradicle11

I was speaking in regards to phones, though.

10. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Can't get drag to work. It always thinks I am on the same key, therfore it gives one of the secondary characters as opposed to the main character of the adjacent key.

For instance: when I drag from a>>n I get a hyphen and not "an" which is what I expected.

11. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

I know it is a little confusing at first, but it isn't meant to work like Swype or Shapewriter. To get "an" you would just tap on those two letters individually. You only swipe across the letter when you are trying to get one of the secondary characters, and then it is in whatever direction that the secondary letter is placed at with respects to the main letter of the box. That's why you continue to get "-" as you need to drag across the "a" to the right to get that character. It does have a learning curve, but if you make it your only keyboard for a day or 2, you'll probably get it. Once in awhile I'll even be using it and understand why they put what letter where, and it gets easier. Hope this helps.

PS. Still a little annoyed by the capitalization thing. It does not capitalize the first letter of anything I go to type, but does on the subsequent sentences, and the Terminal Emulator issue. Not a deal breaker, but nevertheless.

12. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

This seems totally counter-intuitive to me. Been using it all day and simply cannot make it do anything fast. I have to look at the KB in order to type anything.

I can type way faster in the standard IME keyboard. I've tried several of these new style keyboards - even one where the words were already there - alas they don't speed up anything.

The only thing that I've used that works is the SWYPE style because it takes less physical effort, and because the key are QWERTY then I don't have to look at the KB at all just what shows up in the message window.

13. jgreetham

jgreetham Well-Known Member

I like this idea. It seems to me that it might allow touch typing on a touch screen if you consider using 3 fingers, one for each column.

Maybe the developer could come up with a touch typing tutor program which would provide a series of exercises to help memorizing the layout. It could start following along with a random sequence the letters in the each of the three columns, then for one of the three rows. Similar to these lessons for QWERTY:
    Online Free Touch Typing Program | keyboarding tutor.

Or try the sentence I learned in lettering class which has all the alphabet: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

Cheers,
    Jim

14. Blessing

Blessing Member

My only issue with this is that it doesn't provide text predictions our auto-correct, so it ends up taking longer, especially when formulating long texts or long words...

15. phredbull

phredbull Member

I think this is a great invention! The key to using it is to totally forget qwerty and be open to learning a new way.

Great job Saied!

16. sadielynn

sadielynn Well-Known Member

Wow! It's awesome! I was quite pleasantly suprized at how fun it is to learn. I agree w/ the above poster about the predictions tho. I've kinda gotten used to only typing half a word & letting auto complete finish it.