...and if your interested in wifi tether

1. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

you know, without rooting and using the one that comes built in from being froyo without using a carrier, you're in luck. this phone will do it.

download the "quick settings" app from the market (the green gear icon one)
    open it and press menu>customize
    move the wifi hotspot up to be in the visible settings
    turn it on.

*note-you cannot turn it on in settings in the phone but once its on using quick settings, you can go into settings and set up a password for your network.

found this by accident yesterday.

*edit* removed part about evo as it does not work. Please for the love of Pete read this post before asking a question. This is not about USB tethering, this not about any other phone, this is not for people who can't follow simple instructions apparently and this is not my responsibility. I posted this to help people who want to WIFI TETHER. I'm not trying to be rude but at least attempt to read the first post and some of the thread before asking something.

this will not work with the update pushed on 3/20. do not accept the update if you dont want to lose this function. if you do, you can go here to revert to an older version and get it back.

Advertisement
    :
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Wow, this is insane. I am on the wireless tether without rooting. This phone is amazing!!!!

I mainly root for the wireless tether, so this phone can do it all without rooting. I am in awe of this phone, more and more every day.

It blows the Moment, Transform, and the Zio away. It is by far the best non 4G Android phone I have used.
    zthephi likes this.
  3. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

When I tried to turn Hotspot on it said network is unavailable.
  4. AndroidSPCS

Did you download "Quick Settings" from the market place?
  5. jen8112

6. jen8112

Never mind I got it to work. That is f-ing amazing! This is the best phone ever! :D
  7. AndroidSPCS

Yes it is the best Sprint Android phone outside of the Evo / Epic by far. :)
  8. DPE

DPE New Member

Okay, I'm a total noob and phone-stupid, so keep that in mind.

For my job I'm often out in the middle of nowhere, and it would be very nice to have internet access for my laptop through my cellphone. I usually do have some kind of coverage, be it Sprint 3G or some sort of digital roam. I work with large maps and databases that are hard to decipher on a cell screen.

I spoke with Sprint and they tell me you can't tether any phone of theirs any longer, you have to pay the $30/month and buy the mobile hotspot capability. I don't need a mobile hotspot, I just need to be able to have my one laptop get to the internet through the phone a few times per month. Preferably without spending any extra money to do it.

From what you are saying here, it sure sounds like this LG Optimus S will do this if I download Quick Settings and use it correctly, without costing me any extra and without having to 'root' my phone. Which I don't want to do, because I'm not even sure what that means and it sounds a bit scary.

Am I correct? Don't want to make a purchase to find out I can't do what I want to, and obviously can't ask the folks at the Sprint store if this will work or not :). Thanks,

Regards,

Phil
  9. AndroidSPCS

Yes that's exactly right. It's truly amazing.
  10. DPE

DPE New Member

Cool! Thanks for the confirmation. Finally found my next phone. . .

Phil
  11. illhuskerini

illhuskerini Member

Downloaded and I have it working. Thanks for the tip. :)
  12. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

no problem, don't forget to hit the thanks button.
    redpear and bradhoschar like this.
  13. jen8112

You are correct. I used it today. Amazing! ;) This is my favorite phone so far! :)
  14. SandersJC64

SandersJC64 Well-Known Member

Awesome!!! Connected and posting now!
  15. If you would like to subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect or 3G Mobile Hotspot, call:
    Consumer: 800-256-4646
    Business 800-899-4249
  16. I tried following each step but when i finally tether my browser will only show some lame VZW website saying:

If you would like to subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect or 3G Mobile Hotspot, call:
    Consumer: 800-256-4646
    Business 800-899-4249
  17. jen8112

Are you using a Sprint Optimus S?
  18. ugh....i suck so much. fml. i did a search for hotspot and i thought i was searching in the HTC incredible threads.... sorry thanks
  19. jen8112

No prob.
  20. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

So does that mean you can tether an ipod touch and go online using the hotspot from the LG optimus hotspot?
  21. jen8112

Yup :)
  22. rumplesteelskin

rumplesteelskin Well-Known Member

a_________mazing
  23. Kmfiremedic111

One thing that sold me was the live wallpapers too!! Can't do that on the Transform. I am not sure if 2.2 on the transform will allow that or not when we get it.
  24. rumplesteelskin

rumplesteelskin Well-Known Member

NOMster how can I turn the speed up? its working but slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly
  25. Kmfiremedic111

Ok my next BIG question is how do you get around the $30/month that sprint wants to charge for the Wifi Hot Spot?? This tethering through the Optimus S we are talking about is free right? What are the differences?