• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

...and if your interested in wifi tether

I am not sure I understand. I downloaded a quick settings app...Which Quick Settings app am I supposed to download? Free? 3.95? I got the free one, but it just turns on my wifi settings in my phone. I thought Tethering was allowing one to use the phone as a hotspot without incuring charges using the net? Can someone break this down for me even further? I am very new at this. Thank you- this tip was helpful in my quest to hook my lap top to my phone and use it as a wireless hot spot.

Upvote 0
you know, without rooting and using the one that comes built in from being froyo without using a carrier, you're in luck. this phone will do it.

download the "quick settings" app from the market
open it and press menu>customize
move the wifi hotspot up to be in the visible settings
turn it on.

*note-you cannot turn it on in settings in the phone but once its on using quick settings, you can go into settings and set up a password for your network.

found this by accident yesterday. have a friend with an evo who tried it and it worked for him too. however it would not let me use it for wimax, only cdma wifi.

Ok. There are 3 apps on the market called Quick Settings. Who is the developer of the one that we are talking about here? Please help. Thank you.

Upvote 0
T Minus 40 days to I get my Optimus, and I will attempt to try this out.

wish a step by step of pics showing and a link . some of us like to be baby'd some of us have to figure out, and some are no brainers

main post fmi

..and if your interested in wifi tether
you know, without rooting and using the one that comes built in from being froyo without using a carrier, you're in luck. this phone will do it.

download the "quick settings" app from the market (the green gear icon one)
turn it on.

*note-you cannot turn it on in settings in the phone but once its on using quick settings, you can go into settings and set up a password for your network.

found this by accident yesterday.

Upvote 0
So, it goes without saying, that everyone on the second floor knows how happy I am right now.

***You guys and this phone rock equally.***

I was PHYSICALLY tethering my LG VX11000 enV last week to get crap speeds on Vxxxxxn. I switched to Sxxxxt this week to get better reception, and so upgraded my phone to the LG 670 Optimus S.

I remembered what a goat rope it was to adjust all of the settings between the downloaded modem software for the laptop and system settings that change EDVO text in the phone -which is not a pleaseant endeavor for the unaware- Anyway, that does work, but nothing to notify adjacent cubicles about.

So, here I was ready to repeat the process and the results, and after installing the second "Quick Settings" app I found on Market (the Serge one is what you want, btw) I realized it was actually ENABLING a feature that is already built into the phone. Broadcasting!

Now what Sxxxxt makes you pay money for ($360 yr), is free, as it should be, as I am already paying for unlimited data!

Well done, Android Forum. Well done.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-s/216054-if-your-interested-wifi-tether.html

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm generally pretty good about this stuff, but I'm missing something real obvious here.

1.) I downloaded the Quick Settings (serge) App
2.) I opened it, clicked menu, clicked customize
3.) I "moved up" wifi hotspot into the visible area, in the top spot

I can't figure out how to "turn it on" in settings there is no place to turn it on (as mentioned in the op), but also, quick settings only shows (as Sanders mentioned) wifi, BT, GPS, Sync, and Brightness.

I turned all those switches on, but nothing happen, my laptop doesn't see a wifi network to connect to.

I also attempted to turn it on by going into settings and turning on the hotspot, but got a "network is unavailable" error

So, how do I "turn it on" ? What I am I doing wrong here.

Upvote 0
yep. i have a friend in FL who used it on his evo (3g only) but my bro in law with the epic could not.

Well that sucks..

What happens on my phone is the wireless comes on, but I get a Sprint PCS Vision error.. and the 3G shuts off on my phone.

So I can connect to the phone, but it can't connect to the internet. When the wireless is on, even my phone won't connect, I can't browse or check email or anything else while the wireless is activated.

If I shut it off, everything comes back on.

Note -- the above is my EVO, my families Optimus all works no problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this. I was pondering getting this phone but was impatient and got the Evo. I come in here to see how everyone likes this phone as I'd have preferred not to pay the 10 bucks a month for evo,. Anyway, came across this thread and it does work on the evo. Only thing is, I can't get xbox to connect to the hotspot. I know little to nothing about wifi, I'm a cable from the wall kind gal. lol.

Actually right now my cable modem is dying on me and I'm using easy tether to connect to the internet, but it's via usb.

Upvote 0

download the "quick settings" app from the market (the green gear icon one)
turn it on.

found this by accident yesterday. have a friend with an evo who tried it and it worked for him too. however it would not let me use it for wimax, only cdma wifi.
I have the Optimus S and I installed that app BUT there is no option for WiFi Hotspot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones