Android 1.5 to 2.0 (or 2.1)

Last Updated:

1. tigerspill

tigerspill New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi If I have a Hero that comes with Android 1.5, Will I be able to download 2.0/1 and update the OS on the phone myself?

Or could the operator lock the phone to 1.5?

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Once HTC release the 2.1 update you will be able to install it using your PC, and it's very easy to do. Nobody locks their phone's software, as far as I know, but you will have to download the update from your operator's website, not HTC's. (Unless you bought an unbranded phone).

3. buhsnarf

buhsnarf Member

Most of the UK carriers use different ROM images and so these wont be available as soon as HTC release them. Unfortunately. :(

4. marco712

marco712 Well-Known Member

this question has been in the back of my mind for awhile now, if a carrier decides not to update their Hero's to 2.1 (e.g Telus) can we just use the rom for a different carrier (UK, AT&T, Sprint) ?

5. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member

@marco712 i dont think you can, it might require rooting, but i may be wrong

Just out of curiousity, is the ROM flash process prone to errors, blue screens of death, etc? Cuz i remember being really nervous everytime i flashed my old windows mobile phone and i did get quite a few of those scary stuff.

6. Xyro

I think the only way round having to wait for your network to release the update is to root and flash the phone.

7. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Now looks as if 2.1 wont be coming until April and that is not set in stone.

8. jimmy_genius@hotmail.com

jimmy_genius@hotmail.com New Member

hey im from India , im currently using a European version of the HTC hero 1.5 as the indian one will launch after ages to come ..
    I want to know how to save apps on the memory card (8gb sdhc) , and plus increase my internal memory which is only about 165 mb .
    please help ! sick of the memory .
    And if anyone can tell me more about the 1.5 version of the android , whether its good or bad ... or how i can upgrade it ... ??

9. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

You would have to root the phone.
    Search the root forums their are plenty of them.

10. Fanish

Fanish Member

Hi,
    I bought an Unlocked HTC Hero from ebay. Earlier it was locked to 3 UK. I am new to Andriod system. I have few questions ion my mind :
    1. How to upgrade firmware from 1.5 to latest version ? Its very confusing as this phone is unlocked so from where should i download the latest firmware ?HTC Site or 3 UK or install cutom rom like Modaco...
    2. Whether upgrading firmware will lock my phone again to 3 UK ?

Please help..

11. bauer

bauer Member

the 2.1 firmware isnt out yet mate, i doubt it will relock your phone to your network provider as to unlock it has nothing to do with the firmware

12. Xyro

You can't relock the phone to 3 sim cards, but if you want to update you'd still have to get the file from 3's site. Although the Modaco roms are better than normal ones, if you're willing to root the phone.

Fanish likes this.