android 2.0

Last Updated:

1. athlaig

athlaig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so did it get confirmed if 2.0 will or will not work on the G1?

I would hate to be forced into have to buy a new phone and also since all the good 2.0 phones are on other networks I would have to pay to ditch Tmobile.

I want the Google turn by turn badly. Just last week on a trip I was sayign how I could not wait for google maps to get this functionality.

I hate Verizon mainly because their plans are outrageous but I am liking the phones so far. Lets hope the "rachael"/ infinity is a tmboile phone...because the HTC phones on tmobile are now officially dinosaurs.

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

To be Quite honest I doubt anyone other than Google can tell you the answer for sure .....Anything else will simply be speculation.

Personally and this is just my thoughts that the G1 will probably not get it due to the memory issue but you never know..... Google could work out something :)

The best thing to do is sit back , relax and wait for the real answer to come...... it's just a matter of time

Carl C

3. The Reverend Gridlock

The Reverend Gridlock Active Member

the g1 will get the update, if not root that badboy and flash a custom 2.0 yourself

4. The Reverend Gridlock

also if you really want the new gmap update from the sholes, you can push it into a 1.6 build if you are rooted, i do not believe this is turn by turn unless i missed something but the layars option in it is nice

new maps from droid dump http://www.4shared.com/file/142503562/2cac919c/Maps.html

if rooted

place maps.apk on main folder of sdcard

enter terminal emulator

su

type: mount -o rw,remount /system

type: cp /system/app/Maps.apk /sdcard/Maps.bak

type: cp /sdcard/Maps.apk /system/app/Maps.apk

then reboot

5. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member

I must ask, what does the
    Code (Text):
    1. mount -o rw,remount /system
    line do?

I know what it does for *nix, but why would that effect copying a file into your /system/app directory?

6. The Reverend Gridlock

alot of times android will not let you write into the system folder without making it writable so it is just easier telling someone to do it just in case before the ? is asked

7. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member

Even on rooted phones after you 'su'?

8. The Reverend Gridlock

su only gives you access to be able to write to the system but alot of the times you have to mount the system and than change it to writable otherwise you will get a permission denied