• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Any chance you have had word about android 2.1? I am starting to wonder if samsung is going to release the moment and behold II OS at the same time roughly (if they are working on the BEHOLD II 2.1 that is)... looking at this as a possible indication about the 1st half 2010 timeline they gave us

The release will be provided by T-Mobile not Samsung. T-Mobile has run the server update for previous Android phones and all other phones it has in it's stable. So expect T-Mobile to horde all the 2.0/1 updates for all there line up of Android phones and release them all in a week or two span. I don't see T-Mobile telling some customers they can't have 2.0/1 right now but this phone can have it. This is why the Mytouch3g doesn't have the update yet even though it's using a barebones version of Android.

Upvote 0
The release will be provided by T-Mobile not Samsung. T-Mobile has run the server update for previous Android phones and all other phones it has in it's stable. So expect T-Mobile to horde all the 2.0/1 updates for all there line up of Android phones and release them all in a week or two span. I don't see T-Mobile telling some customers they can't have 2.0/1 right now but this phone can have it. This is why the Mytouch3g doesn't have the update yet even though it's using a barebones version of Android.
What I want to know is if the update is still being worked on by Samsung or if its been passed on to T-Mobile already.

Upvote 0
heh I doubt we little people will ever know until the update appears. though there is some sense in Tmo waiting until it has updates ready for all phones so they can just do them enmass. And there should be little problems with congestion as they have now just updated the 3g network to HSPA 7.2 so hopefully android 2.x is not far behind.

http://androidforums.com/t-mobile/33231-hspa-7-2-now-offical.html

Upvote 0
We have received more word about the "hush-hush" Nexus One than about any updates on the OS. I have been told that 1.6 was a disaster. Fine. Why have we not received 2.0?

I won't mind going from 1.5 to 2.1...but who's to say that we will even be offered 2.1??? Historically speaking, we haven't much to go on...

You'd think there was SOMEONE with loose lips working for T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
I'm calling fraud on some of these rumors. I just got thru grilling a service rep who said that TMO has absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of when a 2.0 update will be released for the Behold II. They further claimed that they haven't received any information from Samsung on said update. Basically they're saying the holdup is coming from Samsung's end.

Upvote 0
I'm calling fraud on some of these rumors. I just got thru grilling a service rep who said that TMO has absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of when a 2.0 update will be released for the Behold II. They further claimed that they haven't received any information from Samsung on said update. Basically they're saying the holdup is coming from Samsung's end.
I tend to take what their service people say with a grain of salt. I was on the phone with one of them a few weeks ago and they were sure that the Behold II would be getting an update to 1.6 any date then.

Upvote 0

Which is something I've always suspected, but then you are just talking to a phone rep, and as someone who has worked in a call center, they know very little. The only time a rep would know something is when they are part of the android support group(or as I've heard them, smartphone group) and Tmo has the update ready to release and so they have to inform the reps about it.

Just a future note about phone reps, we know very little except what is in the database we have access to. Thats not to say someone at Tmobile doesnt know about our issues or in fact they may have the update already. If anything, phone reps are the last to know as we are the bottom level of employees(And most of the time not even employees of Tmobile but of the staffing company that has a contract to support Tmobile customers).

Upvote 0
I have an unlocked Behold II that I didn't buy from T-Mobile but am using on T-Mobile. As and when an update is pushed out, how will that affect me? Will I get the OTA update as everyone else or will I need to do anything additional to get the update?

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar question. Will we get a message saying update ready? Cus every so often I've been pushing the software update in the menu hoping something happens lol. For anyone who came from the G1, how was it getting the update?

Upvote 0
Should I just get the Nexus One?....I still have 20 days or so to return this phone...
Depends on how much extra money you want to spend:
Pricing : Choosing Nexus One - Nexus One Help

• Nexus One without service: $529
  • Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for new customers: $179
  • Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are adding data plans: $279
  • Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are upgrading their data plans: $379

And also keep in mind you are forced on a specific minutes plan and have to also get the $10 unlimited texting package which you aren't required to have with the Behold II. When I first heard the $180 price I was on the verge of buyers remorse, but the truth is that it would cost me a lot more in the long run since I prefer my cheaper grandfathered voice plan and have no need for a text message plan. Also since I upgraded I would have had to pay either $279 or $379.

Upvote 0
Mustmod managed to get the standard 2.0 compiled and running on a galaxy. That means if someone puts the work into installing a custom ROM on thebehold _after_ boot using the root we have its very possible.

I dont think anyone is working on it tho.
There's a contest:
Droid Developer Behold 2 Hack Contest!!!

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like he gave up due to a lack of interest. I think we may be stuck with Samsung give us. :(

Upvote 0
No, google said the source for 2.1 will be released in a few days (which is probably today). That just means the manufacturers can now choose to start the work of making it work on their platform or not.

All it means is that they held the 2.1 source back until the nexus was released. The 2.0 source has been out for a while, and samsung, htc etc have been saying january for an update ever since.

Jazzedmurf - it runs pretty fast, but wifi and the sensors dont work yet. Have a google, there's video etc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones