Android 2.1 [3UK] - Roll back to 1.5

Last Updated:

1. Anthoni Gardner

Anthoni Gardner Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

So after waiting for sooooo long for 3 to finally pull their finger out and deliver 2.1 having now tried for a few week, I don't like it at all.

It's the little things really. For example, the speed of the phone has dropped dramatically and it's sluggish when I change screens. When the phone drops into standby to conserve power and then I go back to it, it immediately tries to open the browser to 3's UK page and I've tried everything to prevent this. Of course because I have 3G initially switched off it fails and then shows the option for the settings screen.

Is there an easy way to roll it back to 1.5 or do I have to flash and root the phone ?

Regards
    Anthoni

Advertisement
  2. thisnameistaken

thisnameistaken Well-Known Member

That sounds fairly bizarre, my phone has definitely got faster with 2.1 (on 3) and doesn't do any of that crazy stuff you're describing.

Have you called 3 to ask them about the browser business?

3. Anthoni Gardner

Nope not called Three, have been down that road (not this particular one, but one similar and all they do is follow a script). I figured I would look around first and see any other solutions, before I delve in that pit.

4. neblap

neblap Member

Have you thought about contacting HTC directly?

I had a problem with my Hero and like you decided that contacting 3 would be a waste of time, so I contacted HTC through their website and found their response to be both quick and professional.

When my first point of contact could not fix the problem he escalated the problem to 2nd line support and they helped me sort it. This was all done by email and within 48 hours.

5. Anthoni Gardner

Definately worth considering, thanks neblap.

Did you go through their main website and the contact form on there, or is there a technical side that you can go through? Just wanting to make sure I get the right area.

6. neblap

neblap Member

Went through the main website, when they respond to your email they will link you to the HTC Global ContactUs System where you will be able to respond directly to the Technical guys. It is also a log of all communications between HTC and you.

Hope they can sort your problem for you :)

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

They will most likely suggest (among other things) a factory reset. That's what I'd try too, if your phone is laggy. It always suprised me that the OTA updates didn't wipe the phones, given that they jump forward by 3 versions of firmware.

Although I have no idea what the browser thing is about, that's a weird one.

8. Anthoni Gardner

When I first upgraded, I did the year forward in order to get it. It all went through brilliantly, but afterwards I was having troubles. The first started when I lost every single one of my contacts and had to re-input them all again. Then the browser problem started and was getting really annoying, then the slow downs started happening. So it was like it was getting progressively worse.

I will try the factory reset option first, as I already know how to do that and it's relatively painless. If still no luck I will go through HTC and see what they have to say about it.

Also, not sure if this part of it, but I seem to have live wallpapers (but from what I've read this is not good for the Hero due it's low end CPU). Not sure how to deactivate them yet, looked all over.

It's very frustrating. Cheers for the assist so far.