Android 2.1 - audio/video

Last Updated:

1. Dayno

Dayno Active Member This Topic's Starter

Okay so we have a stock media player and a stock web browser.

What file types are supported by each?

Can another web browser be downloaded that supports flash/divx?

If youre able to load a certain file type (.avi for instance) onto your phone via PC connection and watch it in you media player, why are you not able to stream/download these file types?

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

The stock media player can play mp3's and wav files I beleive. For videos, only h264 or h263 codec will play in the stock player. I'm not sure what file types the browser would support, just html...

the stock web browser will work with flash in android 2.2. If you dont have that, you can try Skyfire, its not perfect but it does work with most flash.

Again, you cant play avi files in the stock media player. You can use Rock Player or vPlayer to play those. thats why you cant stream them, because the media player wont play them.

3. Dayno

Thank you for finally providing some helpful information, and not dismissing the questions. :)

Im running 2.1 as i do not want to root and lose my warranty. So hopefully they release 2.2 to my carrier soon.. Does 2.2s browser and media player support 3rd party plugings?

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Nope, the same codecs. The only big thing 2.2 adds is flash support in the browser and streaming media player. That is one of the big downsides of Android in my opinion. I came from a Windows Moblie phone that would play ANY type of audio or video. But Rock Player is a start, it will play most formats. But it still doesnt run as smoothly as the stock player, which is why I dont use it that often

5. Dayno

Well... What about divx? It seems that they have mobile support however i cant download the plugin.

Another good question would be can i remove the limitation on what type of files i can and can not download? Some just deny me the download altogether.

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Again, you cant download plugins on android. Divx should work with Rock Player however.

If you long press a link, it should allow you to save it no matter what type it is.