Android 2.1 confirmed for the tattoo (ish)

1. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

Guys

Android 2.1 upgrade has been all but confirmed for the Tattoo over at XDA.

Dont know if i can link to the post at XDA but here it is

Android 2.1 Confirmed - xda-developers

Dont have too many sleepless nights :)

Jporch

Advertisement
    :
  2. Terry1100

Terry1100 Well-Known Member

So, available for UK Vodafone users in about February.........................2013
  3. swennl

swennl Active Member

It's nice, if the update will come soon....
  4. iadrian

iadrian New Member

Android 2.0 for Tattoo already exists? :confused::confused::confused:
  5. softsorter

softsorter Member

Only v 1.6 as far as i'm aware
  6. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

1.6 is only available version
  7. iadrian

iadrian New Member

I have heard, as it is written here that there is the Android 2.0 available for HTC Tattoo, i guess this is not correct information since nobody knows anything about this.
  8. brandmarked

brandmarked Well-Known Member

Lots of speculation, 'proof' and rumour, but nothing really confirmed.

Maybe sometime in the future we'll hear one way or the other....

- Mark
  9. reuven

reuven Member

10. Frknylend

Frknylend New Member

Hi! im just wondering, are there any news about this yet? is it possible to get android 2.1 for tattoo? I've been surfing around, but i can't seem to find anything.

- Malin
  11. brandmarked

No news.

And, don't believe all those reports about it being confirmed in a letter from HTC. It is a stock HTC support line answer from some of their supprot centres and means absolutely nothing. There is some really poor journalism out there.

HTC themselves are completely quiet and in fact their quietness is putting me off buying another HTC phone in the future. They have no consumer dialog unless it is something they want to boast about.

- Mark
  12. valioros

valioros New Member

Unfortunately I don't think that Tattoo will receive an update. Here a Dutch spokesman of HTC said that HTC Tattoo, Magic or G1 won't receive any kind of update.
    I can't imagine how ignorant can HTC be about it's clients. I am seriously reconsidering about buying another HTC phone.
  13. yotam

yotam New Member

English Google Translate.
  14. brandmarked

That's an interesting article. Thanks.

And, one that seems rooted in actual conversations with HTC themselves, not the various support lines.

What is most annoying is that HTC do not communicate (unless it is to boast how quick they are growing -- how does this fit their 'humble' brand positioning?). We don't need to know definetly if they are planning to release a later version of Android for the Tattoo (though it would be nice!). Or if they are working on it. We just need to hear something, even if its "We don't know, or its unlikely, or we have no plans at present or we can't tell you".

I guess they are concerned that it will affect sales of the Tattoo or some other commercial reason, but all they are doing is damaging the HTC brand.

I bought into the Tattoo on the basis that it would be updateable. I didn't expect that to be forever, but I certainly didn't expect it to be just a couple of months into a long contract before I felt it was missing out on apps because of an older software version. There are issues in the current software like Bluetooth and Exchange support that are problems for me. I'm very disappointed in how HTC behave and communicate -- there have been numerous issues since I bought the Tattoo, not just this 2.1 problem. It is unlikely that I will buy HTC again unless this changes.

- Mark
  15. coolboy

coolboy New Member

Hi.
    I did send email to HTC couple of days ago and today they reply to me and wrote like this:
    "Thank you for your enquiry about HTC Tattoo. Unfortunately we do not have any information about the update to 2.1 for Tattoo at the moment. Keep you updated on our website for more information. Best regards, Jan R HTC Tech Support HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs Tel: +44 8458900079"

So it seems that Tattoo will not get 2.1 update.
  16. Kyuss9

Kyuss9 Member

Hi,

They seem to give different answers depending on the contact center that replies (although they never clarify wether there'll be an update or not).
    This is the answer they gave me (translation from "something" supposed to be Portuguese): "Regarding your question about the Android update, you should contact your carrier to obtain that information. We appreciate your understanding".
    I'm still waiting for my carriers answer, but I bet they know nothing about it...
  17. sam_cocha

sam_cocha Member

Hi all,
    Maybe i can add something to this subject.
    I too sent an e-mail to the Dutch HTC and they said the following to me:
    "Only when this update will be available we can confirm it will be there (DUH!). We can not confirm something to be coming when we HTC hasn't confirmed it them selves..."
    Then I also found an article on androidworld.nl wich said that there would NOT be an update... Here is a translation of Google Translate: Google Bericht
    Hope I helped you guys out!
    (I am still hoping some day the update will be available:()
  18. Kyuss9

Kyuss9 Member

Yet another contradictory reply from HTC's customer service:
    An Italian guy, who's been pretty active in HTC Tattoo's Facebook page, has posted this yesterday, regarding an Eclair update for Tattoo:
    "Last mail from HTC I translate it for you ;-)
    " From June there will be a small update then we will release the Eclair ROM. For the Eclair update we recommend to use an hotspot Wi-Fi free. "
    I wish that will be true and not only an e-mail :-(
    "

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook
  19. brandmarked

That sounds like the standard reply to the HTC Hero update queries, so I just wonder if HTC have sent the wrong email out. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.
  20. Kyuss9

Kyuss9 Member

Another variant, this time from the customer service in India:
    "Reply from HTC regd upgrade : You want to upgrade ROM of HTC Tattoo. Regarding this we would like to intimate you that currently some of the phones in our Android line up will receive an upgrade, but the schedule for your phone has not yet been released. If your phone receives an upgrade, we will notify you via our website and on various social media networks including Twitter and Face book. If the above steps do not resolve your issue, we invite you to visit the support area on our Web site. "

Android 2.1 | Facebook
  21. Kyuss9

Kyuss9 Member

Fresh news:

"HTC has announced that all of its current Android-based smartphone range will be getting version 2.2 at some point, but the Desire is set to be the first of the bunch."

Top 10 Mobile Phones » News
  22. windmark

windmark New Member

But if the new HTC Wildfire gets Froyo as well there's a chance that tatoo will get it, right? They have the same processor, the same screen resolution and so on. The only thing is that wildfire have more ram and a capacitive screen.

Hopefully we'll get it! At least 2.1 I really hope!
  23. Master Joda

Master Joda Member

I believe it when i see it. I am deeply disappointed in HTC and their behavior with customers.
  24. brandmarked