Android 2.1 is HERE ! ! !General

1. max666

max666 New Member

T-Mobile Hungary has released 2.1 for Pulse!
    I have tried it on mine (Croatian) and it works nice, all the languages and localizations are here.

Link:
    T-Mobile Pulse szoftverfriss

Advertisement
    :
  2. GenesisNemesis

GenesisNemesis Well-Known Member

I have just read on the T-Mobile website forum that someone has installed 2.1 onto their pulse and it will not boot. They do not say however that they got the software from the hungarian site.

I will wait untill it is available on the uk site.
  3. max666

max666 New Member

There are lots of beta 2.1 firmwares around.

But this is the final one from t-mobile.
  4. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Am I reading that right? 40MB available for apps after this update? That is ludicrous.
  5. GenesisNemesis

I downloaded and installed. Not quite the exact process as described above but easy enough.

Loooks superb but not much room left for apps.

Will give it all a thourough test tomorrow.
  6. spoke

spoke Member

Been running the Hungarian 2.1 for 3 days now on UK Pulse with no problems. Seems more responsive to the touch screen & quicker overall.

Voice search wasn't there by default but there's a link to the correct .apk on Modaco & that worked fine.
  7. max666

max666 New Member

There are few mods for this firmware now - rooted + apps2sd.
    I am running one and its working sweet :)
  8. GenesisNemesis

It is working perfectly. A big improvement on 1.5! It did not reboot during the installation, but taking out the battery and turning it on again did the trick. It must also be pointed out that the first folder should be deleted from the SD card before installing the second.

Next step is to root and unlock. Could you tell us where there is a good guide to rooting?
  9. helikopter

helikopter Active Member

Custom roms and all kind of useful information are available on modaco.
  10. kirkykirkham

kirkykirkham Member

Iv jst installed the 2.1 version on my UK Pulse its installed fine and working but its unstable keeps Force closing on me and slow when downloading off the market
    Might be because of the regionality hopefully wen the uk version comes out it will be more stable
  11. Salad

Salad Active Member

I'm on T-mobile UK. I took my phone in to be repaired the other day and while I was talking everything over with the technician he asked if I'd backed everything up off my phone because it was likely to come back 'with updated software installed'.

Though I'd take this with a pinch of salt, as the same guy said the HTC Desire is a great phone because of it's 'built in processor'.
  12. GenesisNemesis

Probably referring to the snapdragon.
  13. Muuurgh

Muuurgh Well-Known Member

I just updated via these instructions. The only thing I'm missing is the keyboard from before. I don't have the numbers on the top row and can't remember / be bothered googling to find out what's going on there. If anybody else had this problem and fixed it, any advice would be useful.
  14. GenesisNemesis

There is an android keyboard and one already built into the phone.not to sure how to change them around.

Does anyone know how to root? I have tried following the instructions on a few other websites installing files and endless reboots, but nothing has worked. If anyone knows please post.
  15. Muuurgh

Muuurgh Well-Known Member

In my defence, it was late and I was tired.

Settings -> Language and Keyboard -> Touchpal. Turn on Slide-down symbols.

To change between input types, long press an input field, select input method and then select the required input. As another user mentioned, voice isn't an option, I haven't looked into turning that on yet. Not sure I need it either to be honest.
  16. Salad

Salad Active Member

It's hard to convey with text, but he said it in a way that implied phones didn't normally have a processor.
  17. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

It seems to me that biggest issue with running Android 2.1 on the Pulse is that little memory is left over to run apps?

So is Android 2.1 the answer? This will let you install apps on the SD card...

Ian
  18. UKLooney

UKLooney Well-Known Member

On the pulse, the type of memory where apps are installed is similar to the memory of a hard disk in a computer. Your SD card is like a second, external hard disk on a pc.
    The memory they speak of as being too small, is similar to the RAM memory in your pc.
    If needed, you can normally upgrade the RAM in your PC when upgrading your pc operating system. e.g. 1Gb ram -> 2Gb ram when upgrading from WinXP to Win7. Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade this memory on the pulse.
    So 2.1 will probably run OK on the pulse, but multitasking will cause a drastic reduction in usability (speed).
  19. ifb-online

Thanks for that; but prior to 2.2 are apps stored in RAM or is there integrated flash memory? For example, I understand that my HTC Desire had roughly half a gig of RAM and half a GIG of ROM (flash?).

Ian
  20. UKLooney

Yes, the RAM, as they call it, where the apps are stored is actually a sort of integrated flash memory which is non-volatile, and is not lost when you remove the phone battery.
    You can now install more apps on the device using the SD card, but the volatile RAM that is used to execute the os & apps is still limited. Android 2.2 uses more of this volatile RAM to run than 1.5. So once you have a few extra widgets and background services loaded, there ain't much left for your other apps to use. :(
  21. ifb-online

OK, how much system (volatile) RAM does the Pulse have and how much non volatile storage? Every time I look at a specs list for the Pulse it's different!

Ian
  22. UKLooney

No too sure myself, but from the specs I read, I'd guess-

256mb non volatile memory, of which is partitioned into two (or more?) sections, one for the OS and one for apps etc.
    192mb volatile memory
  23. freakazoid

freakazoid New Member

tried updating the other day did the steps - "update failed" and when I turned the phone back on the phone screen was totally unresponsive..

do you mind just quickly giving a step-by-step instructions on how you updated your phone?

Thanks
  24. kevingattaca

kevingattaca New Member

Same thing with me BUT you can use the JOYPAD to move the option when you Switch off the Pulse from the OFF button

( STILL trying to get it to work though !? ;-) )

I'm guessing that the PATTERN UNLOCK is causing me these problems ??
  25. freakazoid

freakazoid New Member

yea pattern unlock gave me those problems aswell!!

I ended up sending the phone back to tmobile they sent it back with the old update again.. but obviously fixed..

Looking to do the update again - but this time without it breaking!