Android 2.1 MAJOR PROBLEMS with Contacts -- PLEASE HELPGeneral

Last Updated:

1. ehughes

ehughes Member This Topic's Starter

I got Android 2.1 OTA last night from Verizon for my Eris. It has completely screwed my contacts. As expected, my contacts vanished when the installation occurred. I then did a Google Sync and contacts started coming back. But they are a total disaster. Some of the most important people (e.g. my mom and husband) are totally missing from the Eris but exist in my Gmail contacts. To make matters worse, when I manually added my mom and husband back into the phone, their contact info vanished from the Eris shortly thereafter.

Some contacts downloaded to the Eris with only partial information such as one of multiple email addresses and no phone information. When I go to these contacts in the Eris to try to edit them, I cannot even get an edit option. For instance, I push the contact info and hold it to get the edit drop-down option and the only option I get is "send contact as vCard." For other contacts (especially those without any issues), I get the full range of options such as "edit" "save" and "delete." For other contacts, I cannot even get a dropdown menu to load at all when I press and hold the contact.

Also, some contacts have two Facebook links listed under them even though only one Facebook account is associated with the person.

I called Verizon and tech support had no idea what the problem was. I have shut down and repowered, I have removed the battery. Now they are telling me that I have to do a hard reset and wipe the phone.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is there any hope for me?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

3. ehughes

Yea, I am hoping not to do a factory reset because I don't want to lose all the stuff on my phone. Do you think reset is the only option? Is there a way to re-push the software and reinstall it? Can I go back to the old OS?

4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

A fresh reset fixes almost all problems.

5. Ra21V12eN

Ra21V12eN Active Member

The one thing that I found was that I had accidentally moved some contacts out of the main group and into an "Other Contacts" folder. Once I moved them back into the main group of contacts, they immediately showed back up on my phone.

I have no clue how I moved them in the first place, but that's what solved my contacts issues.

Ra21V12eN

6. ehughes

Sadly, that is not my problem. Most of my contacts from the "all" folder in Gmail have come in. The ones that are really important in "My Contacts" have also largely come in except for some of the most important, which are listed in both places.

I have already removed everyone in Gmail from various "groups" that I had set up, thinking that might have been part of the problem. But nothing is working.

Also, my Gmail contacts sync just seems to be continuously running. It has been going since 8 PM last night. The calendar and Gmail syncs ran quickly and were done. Contacts, not so much.

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Just spend some time doing all the work needed in preparation for the reset. At the end of the road is a likely end to the issues you're experiencing.

Back up.. even put your sd card contents on your computer hard drive if that makes you feel better.

8. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

takes 10 minutes to back your stuff up

5 minutes for a factory reset

20-30 minutes to get everything re-synced and setup

less then an hours work to be happy with your 100% functioning phone = worth it

9. ehughes

Do you know if the Verizon Backup Assistant is available for Eris? When I login to MyVerizon it shows some instructions for how to get the backup assistant app but they don't seem to translate to any screens or menu options that I can find on the Eris. Verizon tech supports says Backup Assistant is only available for the Incredible although I see some online postings that people with Eris claim to have used the MyVerizon backup assistant.

If that option isn't available, is there a good backup app that I should get? I am not that tech savvy and a little overwhelmed with trying to figure out the best way to backup everything (I already have Gmail backed up and downloaded all my photos to Flickr) but unsure about the rest.

10. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member