Android 2.1 / Moto Droid

Last Updated:

1. keerf

keerf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

So I'm reading mixed things here. I know I've seen posts on here saying the droid is getting 2.1, but looking on a google search, it seems the motorola ceo said he "thinks" it will happen.

Anyone know for sure if the droid is getting the update? Or anyone maybe know when there might be more official word.

I know that is probably a tall order to ask for, but I'd figure I would try.

Advertisement
  2. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

It will happen. When? We do not yet know.

3. keerf

Thanks craig :)

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

It's almost guaranteed to happen. The thing is, Motorola doesn't need to push or approve the update. Since we have a vanilla 2.0.1, we should be able to upgrade to the basic 2.1 when it's released. There's no Motorola tweaking/UI adjustments on our phone, so we should be able to - if available - get the 2.1 update straight from Google.

5. keerf

I actually wasn't aware it was stock android. I thought motorola did at least some tweaks to it, but I guess I was wrong on that.

Thank you for clearing that up vincent :)

6. vincentp

As far as I know there were no modifications from Motorola nor Verizon on our phones. Pure Google :)

7. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

that can't be accurate since Verizon forced us to have apps such as Visual VM, etc and we are unable to uninstall them. That tells me they modified the OS at least a bit.

8. vincentp

Applications are a different matter. I'm talking significant modifications to the function/UI of the phone such as HTC's Sense or Motorola's MotoBlur. There is nothing like that on the Droid. It is stock as can be. A few additional applications installed by Google/Verizon don't change the basic function of the system.

9. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Yep since 2.0.1 could be downloaded straight off Google servers, it should work the same w/ 2.1. Which is good, because if it were left to VZ we wouldn't see 2.1 until next year...maybe.

10. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

The Google conference had one of the guys from Motorola there...he said 2.1 will be pushed out to existing Droid users "within a few days." It's pending the release to open source, and once it does we'll all get it OTA or forced.

11. neumannator

neumannator Well-Known Member

i hope we get it soon because im getting sick of 2.0.1 already

12. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

That was the only reason I rooted my Droid. Just to get the damn "Update available" to go away for visual voice mail in the application manager.

13. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member

Correct! One of the Droid's best qualities IMO. No silly skin on top of Android!

14. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

How is that possible, it's just a few weeks old!

15. Sp33d KiIIz

Sp33d KiIIz Member

I concur, I heard that the update would be given by the end of January, but I don't know for sure ... nobody does.

16. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

17. Sp33d KiIIz

Sp33d KiIIz Member

18. qixiixiq

qixiixiq New Member

so im running 2.0.1 rooted on my droid. will i lose root when the ota system updates my verizon phone?

is there a root system in place that i can apply once the phone is already updated?

does the new kernel still suffer from the 550 mghz limit?

thanks!
    :confused::confused::confused:

19. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior New Member

I doubt we'll see it too soon. But we'll see. Personally I'm in no hurry, just means half of the apps we use regularly will probably NOT work for several days (or longer)... and with no other phone apparently getting 2.1 anytime soon it's going to make it hell on the app developers... Google really needs to tighten things up on the app market and the developers or the market is going to become an embarrassment.

It's can't since the Nexus has a 1Ghz processor. It might be the opposite (i.e. maybe there's a minimum) could explain why 2.1 hasn't been confirmed for any other devices yet. A better question, IMO would be if this means Moto will release the Droids processor (if I'm not mistaken it's under-clocked out of the box, am I wrong?). That would really make the Droid perform.

20. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Engadget is at the Motorola CES event right now. They just posted the following:
    So that's it folks. It's gonna happen at some point in the near enough future that it makes sense to mention it in the CES event.

Link

21. dmobile5

dmobile5 Well-Known Member

In the Q&A with Sanjay in Mountain View he said 2.1 is comin to the Droid in the coming days....CNET has every single question that was asked and their response...

22. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Link action?

23. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

If Motorola works quickly then we can see it in a week or so after it comes to the source tree, maybe sooner. However, if you ever want root then I strongly suggest you do not accept the update because it WILL close up the current exploit to gain root access. Also 2.1 or it's kernel isn't going to upclock the processor, it is at 550mhz for a reason.

24. dmobile5

dmobile5 Well-Known Member

25. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

11:29 a.m.: eWeek wants to know how the Nexus One will affect sales of the Droid. Jha says that Motorola will upgrade the Droid to the new software features in due time, and that HTC and Motorola are, of course, competitors, and will continue compete.

Due time.....that doesn't sound good.