Android 2.1 On The Motorola Droid

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Are you a fearless Motorola Droid owner? Want a few extra homescreens? Extra fast and fluid navigation/actions? Some UI improvements? Google News and Weather? Then perhaps you’ll want to install Android 2.1 on your Motorola Droid as it will accomplish all of the above (at the risk of ruining your device of course): He emphasizes [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Ill wait for the official bake.

3. alanad808

alanad808 Active Member

when will the moto-droid get 2.1 anyways? anyone know?

4. Silverwing

Silverwing Well-Known Member

Rumour has it, Jan 22nd. There is no official word on it, just yet.

5. Spectral

Spectral Member

2.1 is amazing. Still running the v 0.0.2 have not seen enough improvement from that to warrant wiping my device again. But if you really want some awesome new features and don't mind spending the little bit of time to root your droid and install this I would highly recommend this.

Here is a link to a really easy walkthrough of getting 2.1 on your Droid!
    How to install: 2.1 the easy way - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

6. psufan5

psufan5 Active Member

The main issue for me is the lack of a backlit keyboard. None of the "fixes" work 100% of the time, and it continually shuts off.

7. alanad808

alanad808 Active Member

ahh i see, thanx :)

8. Unclebill

Unclebill Active Member

When you use the phone ... and hold it to your ear ... the backlit display shuts off. When you move the phone away ... it comes back on ... my suspicion is that this is done to save on battery consumption.

Play with this movement and you'll discover that the display will stay lit (if you move too much, the display shuts off and comes back on and shuts off and comes back on, etc.)

I discovered how to do this so I could use the phone to access automated services requiring passwords and "press 1 for this and two for that options".

When you understand how this works and get used to it ... it's second nature to use.:cool:

9. DigitalRapture

DigitalRapture Active Member

Greek35T has a temp fix for the backlight issue and it's fixed even more later in the thread. Check it out over at alldroid.org

Almost works 100% at the moment. I've been using the newest version with custom live wallpapers and have not had the phone turn off or lock up in a few days.