• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 2.1 Repeating E-Mail Notifications.

LBPHeretic

Android Expert
May 29, 2010
Wilmington, Delaware
Hi, I am new to these forums and cannot wait to become a part of the community here. I have lurked for several months and finally decided to join up today. :)

Now onto my problem: I just updated to Android 2.1 on my Sprint HTC Hero the other day. Mostly all the minor issues I have encountered I have been able to find a solution fairly easily through researching, however, I have one problem that I cannot figure out.

I use the POP3 email client and in Android 1.5 it would check for email every 15 minutes and it would flash the LED and make a noise to notify me if I received any email, then it would not notify me again until I got another email. I have noticed, on Android 2.1, if I do not check my email (like if I am asleep or something) for a while, AFTER I have received a new email, I will continue to be notified about it with the LED flash and the notification sound every few hours. I will then go and check my email client and see that I have not really received any new email at all. It is basically just repeating the notification.

This is rather annoying for me. I want to be notified about the email arriving once and only once unless I happen to receive MORE email. I have checked the settings for my email and the notifications and I cannot seem to find anything to remedy this. I honestly don't know if this is just the POP3 email client causing this issue (I think it is) or if it is just a notification glitch in general. Does anyone have any ideas about fixing this or perhaps a possible solution? Thanks, in advance. :D

So, no one has experienced this issue except me? It did it again this morning. I heard the email notification go off and then about two hours later it went off again and then about thirty minutes later it went off AGAIN. Seriously, this is a really irritating problem.

Please, if anyone else has had anything remotely resembling this issue after updating their Sprint HTC Hero to Android 2.1, post in this thread about it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't have any solutions, but definitely experiencing the issue. If I was receiving as many emails as I receive notifications, my business would be rolling. Have no idea why it's happening, and definitely annoying. The thing is, I don't believe it was happening immediately after updating. It almost seems to be getting worse.

I honestly am at the point, where I just expect to have numerous annoyances with this phone...It's unfortunate, but luckily, there are a few things that work really well and make it almost worth it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. Are you using Exchange email by any chance? I am just using the normal POP3/SMTP client with an email account I have. My issue definitely started right after I completed the Android 2.1 update.

The Android 1.5 POP3/SMTP email client worked perfectly for me. I have actually thought about trying an alternate email client, like K-9 Mail, but I was not so sure if it would fix the notifications issue. The issue could be tied to email notifications, or it could be a glitch in the notification system in general. At this point, I do not know which it is, but I am leaning heavily towards the email client.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. It only seems to affect POP3/SMTP email accounts from the trend I am seeing in this thread. I really think HTC or Sprint must have made some kind of adverse change in the code when they added a couple features to the client that causes this glitch to manifest itself. I just wish there was an option or button to turn off repeating messages in the settings.

Anyone that is having this problem, if you would like to, please post that you are experiencing this issue in the http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/82618-2-1-problems-issues-quirks.html thread. Hopefully, if enough people are having this email problem, HTC or Sprint will take notice and develop a fix in a maintenance release.

Upvote 0
I wish I was not having this notification repeating issue. This morning I received an email at around 6:30 A.M. and then it notified me about it again three more times about once each hour.

I think what I will eventually try is to delete my POP3 account setup and then set it up over again and see if that helps. If that does not help, I will get the K-9 Mail app and try that. I honestly cannot think of anything else to do at this point. I do not think this problem warrants a reinstall of Android 2.1 as everything else works almost perfectly on my Sprint HTC Hero.

Upvote 0
I think what I will eventually try is to delete my POP3 account setup and then set it up over again and see if that helps. If that does not help, I will get the K-9 Mail app and try that. I honestly cannot think of anything else to do at this point. I do not think this problem warrants a reinstall of Android 2.1 as everything else works almost perfectly on my Sprint HTC Hero.[/QUOTE]

The problem exists occurs with K-9 too. :mad:

Upvote 0
The problem exists occurs with K-9 too. :mad:

Noooo! Well, anyway, thanks for letting me know. You have saved me some time and trouble trying out K-9 Mail. I have been notified about the same email at least six times since it arrived in my inbox this morning. :(

Ugh, I really have no solution to fix it then unless HTC or Sprint have a fix in a maintenance release. I guess I will try deleting my POP3 account setup, like I said earlier, and see if setting it up again fixes the issue. ;)

Upvote 0
There's an app called missed reminder in the market that is for people who want to keep getting notifications for email/texts/missed calls. Its possible that if you get that app and make the settings for email to not keep reminding then it will override the default settings. Just a thought.

Wow, now this seems like it could be promising! I will definitely give this a try. :D

Maybe it is just an internal setting in the Android operating system that is causing it and for some reason HTC decided to turn it on in the update. I will try this after I test out deleting my POP3 setup and setting it up again. I have been reticent to do so because, well, I hate setting it up over and over. Thanks again for the idea above! :cool:

Upvote 0
I actually do not see an option in the Missed Reminder app that will let me turn the repeating notifications off. Am I just completely missing it or something? Addtionally, does this app always run as a process in the background? I want to limit what is running constantly to preserve battery life.

I have noticed that the more email I have in my inbox that I have not checked, the more often the notification sound will play. It got to a point where it was playing the notification sound every 15 minutes this morning after I had received three or four emails over the course of the night. This is pretty insane in my opinion. I cannot for the life of me believe that there is no option to turn this off by default.

Upvote 0
I actually do not see an option in the Missed Reminder app that will let me turn the repeating notifications off. Am I just completely missing it or something? Addtionally, does this app always run as a process in the background? I want to limit what is running constantly to preserve battery life.

I have noticed that the more email I have in my inbox that I have not checked, the more often the notification sound will play. It got to a point where it was playing the notification sound every 15 minutes this morning after I had received three or four emails over the course of the night. This is pretty insane in my opinion. I cannot for the life of me believe that there is no option to turn this off by default.

Oh I just realized Missed Reminder does gmail but not regular mail, I never noticed before because gmail is the only thing I have set up on my phone. (I have my AOL mail bookmarked in the browser to check it once in a while because it gets way too much junk to always be notifying me).

Upvote 0
Yeah, this issue is just getting more annoying for me as the days go by. That is a shame that the Missed Reminder app will not be able to help me, but I thank you for investigating that setting for me.

After over a week of living with this glitch I have come to the conclusion that it just making the notification sound every time it checks for new email (which is every 15 minutes for me) as long as you have an unread email in your inbox. This is a really irritating problem and one that Sprint and HTC need to address. Does anyone know how I can go about contacting Sprint or HTC to let them know about this glitch? I would prefer sending them an email and not calling them.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with Verizon Motorola Droid and latest OS using the stock Email program. I have tried K9Mail and it does not have the same problem. I like K9Mail very much for my Roadrunner POP account, except I am having trouble getting it to work with the MS Exchange service where I work. But the stock Email client does work fine with Exchange. Android really needs to resolve all the Email issues or Blackberry is going to eat their cookies soon - business users can't put up with the Android mail nonsense. And they don't want their corporate mail funneled through the Google search monster. Except for the other neat features of the Droid, I really miss my Blackberry for its email reliability. I expect RIM will soon come out with a new competitor.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with Verizon Motorola Droid and latest OS using the stock Email program. I have tried K9Mail and it does not have the same problem. I like K9Mail very much for my Roadrunner POP account, except I am having trouble getting it to work with the MS Exchange service where I work. But the stock Email client does work fine with Exchange. Android really needs to resolve all the Email issues or Blackberry is going to eat their cookies soon - business users can't put up with the Android mail nonsense. And they don't want their corporate mail funneled through the Google search monster. Except for the other neat features of the Droid, I really miss my Blackberry for its email reliability. I expect RIM will soon come out with a new competitor.

You are not the first person I have heard say that they miss their BlackBerry's email functionality after moving to the Android platform. Email is definitely one of BlackBerry's biggest strengths, especially in the corporate arena, but Android is slowly catching up in that regard.

Anyway, I am sorry you are experiencing the same issues with the stock Email app. I was under the impression that I was experiencing the repeating notifications because HTC screwed around with the HTC email app when they coded the Android 2.1 update that we got last month. So, it is weird that your stock Android email app is also acting up. Perhaps, they are both based on some of the same code? To be honest, I still have not found a solution to this problem. It still repeats notifications over and over as it polls for the same unread email in my inbox. I suppose I will try K-9 Mail if you are saying it definitely does not have the same problem. Luckily, I do not have to worry about Microsoft Exchange email on my Sprint HTC Hero.

Upvote 0
I am using exchange server and get the repeated notifications... its annoying. No solutions, just annoyed.

happens with me with exchange and pop and mail in general. I am not sure but it may even happen with texts. but long and short of it is that there is repeated notifications. I am not sure that this is a problem for me during the day but at night my wife is getting ready to hang me:(

so for my solution, the workaround for me is "Timeriffic" found in the marketplace. it allows me to turn down the ringer and stop the annoying late night notification. it is a sledgehammer sollution but it looks like it should solve my biggest problem the report that runs at 3:15 am every morning and sends me an email. Wife will no longer be my executioner..

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem until I went into SETTINGS>ACCOUNTS&SYNC>GOOGLE

I then unchecked the SYNC GMAIL

I also have IMAP GMAIL setup in the stock mail accounts and I think that's what was giving me the double notifications. Actually I don't get any notifications now for gmail, but it does show that I have new emails on my MAIL widget which is good enough for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones