Android 2.1 Update

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. donovanb09

donovanb09 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a motorola droid and I heard that the offical release date for the android 2.1 OS is Jan 22nd. Is there anyway I could confirm this? Btw I heard it from a guy at the verizon store(he was working there) but he didn't seem to sharp so I'm still asking

Advertisement
  2. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I don't think there has been an "official" release date. Jan 22nd seems to be the most "rumored" release date, so I guess we will see.

3. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

Rumored

4. deeznuts2

deeznuts2 Well-Known Member

There is absolutely NO official release date.

The January 22nd date is being taken from an internal memo released last year regarding the two service maintenance updates for the Droid. We already had one in December. The second maintenance update is scheduled for January 22.

If you want to read the memo, along with the bug fixes, you can find the article here

Thats not to say that january 22 wont be 2.1 - however, January 22 was slated as a service update long before 2.1 was announced. But plans can change...

5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

so i got up to take a pee and saw i had a message on my droid. i unlock the screen and its a message that there is a system update for my phone. i let it download and reset and was thinking whats going on here? early 2.1 update??

so it downloads, restarts and the version number is still the same. version 2.0.1.

im messing around, seeing if anythings changed and i instantly notice that my facebook information has been erased from the phone. i log back into facebook, it brings me through the whole user agreement and asks me if i want to sync contacts again. i go through the motions and then look under applications and see its still the older version of facebook, v 1.1.1. ive had problems with facebook since day 1 where it doesnt want to update. it kept saying, "package signed incorrectly".

so i decide to try it one last time and i find it in the market and pray as it downloads. then i see, that it successfully installed to my amazement! i really excited now that it finally updated just so i dont have to deal with it failed anymore.

anyone else get this "update" but i think its directed at fixing the facebook app maybe?

6. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i wonder? hmm, ok, thats odd! i guess we will see if i get it!

7. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

I awoke to the same prompt, but since I'm rooted, I wanted to check here, first. "Update to 2.01"? No-kay. I guess I have to see what it does on my wife's first. :D I finally just got the damned thing like I like it! lol

8. burtondroid

burtondroid Active Member

I got this message.. I clicked 'Update Later'...

Whats the deal..?.. is this just for facebook?

Is this gonna screw me up?

9. sherylhs

sherylhs Member

I got this upgrade message yesterday morning, and upgraded. I too was getting the facebook error and after the upgrade was able to download the fb app no issues.

My phone isn't rooted, but I have done a lot to personalize it. The only thing that I noticed was different was my notification tone changed back to the "Droid" notification when I had it set for silent. Pretty funny if you think about it... upgrade and your phone starts saying "droid" again.

Btw, I have my phone customized with home++ and there were no changes to any of my other setups.

~S

10. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

son of a b...I was really hoping this was the upgrade...turns out it's not? weird.

11. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

VZW is probably rolling out its previously scheduled Jan.22 maintenance update in small bunches like they did with 2.0.1. Honestly, you all probably don't want 2.1 yet until: 1) VZW/Motorola and Google have worked out some of the bugs. The N1 boys are dealing with a bunch of launch bugs from 2.1.

2) You probably also want a chance for devs to get their hands on the 2.1 SDK and have their apps updated so that the majority of the apps you're running now will not FC (or not work) once you update to 2.1.

In that way, I'm okay with a service maintenance update because for the most part, 2.0.1 is stable and free from all but the smallest, minor bugs that are just inconveniences like this Facebook issue.

12. gonzoguy24

good point bro...yer most likely 100 percent correct on that. bummer...I just want 5 homescreens that are fluid and not choppy/laggy...(i have several widgets)

13. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the 5 home screens too!

And I'm not keen on any of the home replacement apps

14. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

I got my Droid Saturday and yeah I need more homescreens already LOL

15. gonzoguy24

Every home replacement app slows the phone down...and even stock home screen still is kinda choppy/laggy...this is what I want from an upgrade...:cool:

16. gonzoguy24

Please I urge you...do not waste your money on GDE, dxtop, or open home. If you want more for now use launcher+.

17. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

BaH!!! Launcher is a lagger! Sweeter Home Preview 2 is THE REAL DEAL. And it's still in beta. Sweeter Home comes with 5 screens, but because of it's complex design, all you really need is 2 or 3. Search the apps forum and be amazed. ;)

18. gonzoguy24

Laucher is a lagger...i agree but it was the best i have used and was free. I have not jumped on the sweeter home bandwagon yet...maybe i should!

19. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. Even with some of the Beta issues, it is still that good.

20. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

For all of you who've downloaded the 2.1 yourselves, have you found any incompatibilities that people should be keeping an eye out for when everything becomes official? How long do you think any apps for 2.1 will surface?

21. gonzoguy24

App devs already have the 2.1 sdk so it should not be long at all. They are working on it already so all apps work with N1...even though I am not sure there are any issues with apps and 2.1

22. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

You could email the dev. I have not rooted, so I am still on 2.0.1.

23. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I have been using 2.1 basically since it was ported to the Droid and have yet to find any app's that don't work with it. I'm sure there are some but none that I use are incompatible.

24. reznorfan0

reznorfan0 Well-Known Member

Damn you Joe, I stay out of the sweeter home thread so as not to be tempted. I imagine you are also spending some time in developer forums, is there anything as far as a launch date for the market release yet?

25. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Well everyone, I think this is our jan. 22nd update...just rolled out earlier as the one was before. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.