ANDROID 2.1 Will be OpenSourced THIS WEEKSupport

Last Updated:

1. boolean22

boolean22 Member This Topic's Starter

According to Live Coverage from Engadget in the Mountain View press conference of Google Nexus One, the Android 2.1 will be available as OpenSource as soon as this week!!

To quote the line that matters the most:
    Live from Google's Android press conference -- Engadget

Advertisement
  2. celios

celios Well-Known Member

Yep, but does that give us any idea of how long it will take to make it onto the Milestone? We are still waiting for 2.0.1 and that was opensourced a month ago.

3. boolean22

It would be just the cake to be able to download the 2.1 update to a PC and pour it in our devices without the carrier or the manufacturer even having to push the ROMs via OTA. OTA is ok when you're not near a computer, but it's quite simpler downloading the ROM first and then flashing it whenever you want.

4. celios

celios Well-Known Member

The source being made available is not the same as the firmware being available.

Someone (i.e. Google or Motorola) needs to build a firmware image for each device and make that available.

Google makes source available --> Google/Motorola builds firmware --> You get 2.1 on your device

I don't want to put a dampener on things, but it's best to get your expectations set right from the start.

5. boolean22

I agree with all you're saying, but it's a start. Let's see at what pace things start to happen. For eg. HTC said that 2.1 will be the next update, and not wasting time with 2.0.x anymore, couldn't that be the case for Milestone?

One can always dream!

I'm in Argentina, so we tend to wait a LOT longer for updates over here. Although the Milestone turned to be 'Most Popular Phone' of 2009, being pre-released just two months before year's end... that should make an impression in Motorola's books.

6. celios

celios Well-Known Member

Yes, I hope our dreams turn into reality sometime in Q1 2010! Interestingly Google have mentioned that 2.1 will only be available on devices that has a sufficient 3D capability - the Milestone obviously falls into that category (with the graphics co-processor) but the G1 and some of the other earlier devices might not.

7. boolean22

They've also said (Jha, from Moto, to be more precise) that the backwards compatibility was at stake when innovating (daaah! we all knew that!) and that 3D UI is something that it was clearly in the way of harming the compatibility further, not to mention CPU and RAM. (I think they're already apologizing for the CLIQ/DEXT?)

8. frapo

frapo Member

Silly question. Improved 3D capabilities, etc... does that mean even worse battery life ? that would be ugly :(

9. boolean22

The idea is to improve the performance of the UI so 3D in this case should add speed, therefore un-loading cycles from the CPU faster and extending idle time. The UI can/should be loaded in the GPU thus spring into action easier from idle state.
    Of course, failing to optimize this process could really drain the battery at speeds yet unseen! xD

10. Dayzee

Dayzee Member

11. boolean22

12. GDVS

GDVS Active Member

That's some nice news :)

13. celios

celios Well-Known Member

14. boolean22

I don't want to vapor here, but heard somewhere in an Argentinian Forum, that there's a February date for the update... I'll keep you posted.