Android 2.2 Allows Automatic App Updates?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Apr 22, 2010.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot
    VIP Member

Apr 12, 2008
    I was a bit skeptical when a user from 4chan claimed to be an “android trusted tester” and posted screenshots of a MyTouch 3G supposedly running Android 2.2 Froyo – afterall we know how easily those “About” screens are faked. But after some trolling (”No one cares, take this $#!* to XDA”) and small talk [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Sweet. It's one of the most wanted/voted features in the Google Developer's site.

3. mez

mez Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    UK
    That is a very nice feature for some and i can see why devs would like it as it means all their users are running the same.

As a user tho I don't think its a feature id turn on. Maybe for one or two apps but for mosti wouldn't use it.

I'm still running 1.5 hero and I doubt ill ever see 2.1/2.2 on a HTC device my next phone will not be HTC.

Anyway when I first got this phone I had an app which was great and free I did an update without reading new reviews and it turned the app in to an ad supported one. If id known I wouldn't have updated. That's why I wouldn't use this feature. I uninstalled and found another adfree version. If id been told it changed the app to ad supported I either wouldn't have updated or would have bought the donate version, for me it was simply thefact the information didn't say ads that I went to another developer.

As I said I can see it bwing useful but I wouldnt use it.

4. hocturnalsoul

hocturnalsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    IT Analyst
    Gloucestershire
    they will probably add an option in settings to turn off automatic updates for apps

5. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Indiana,USA
    I would hope it could be turned off, I have 5 or so apps that I won't update because reviews after the update all talk about FC's and other problems.

6. jasnmb

jasnmb Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Looking at the 2nd photo in the phandroid article, it looks like you have to opt in for each app to receive auto updates.

7. saltorio

saltorio Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    That seems like it would be the best way to do it, as long as it's opt-in, rather than opt-out.

8. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    i dont necessarily want an auto update feature as much as i would like to be able to receive a notification for an app update, go to the market and click my menu key and tell it to 'update all'

9. mez

mez Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    UK
    after going to the market have a tick box and have a update all selected...

that would be a really good way to take this feature forward

10. romek

romek Member

Apr 19, 2010
    UK
    agreed, the UPDATE ALL button is something that should have been in there from day one.

Auto-Update should have been there on day two. :)