Android 2.2 Allows Automatic App Updates?

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot

I was a bit skeptical when a user from 4chan claimed to be an “android trusted tester” and posted screenshots of a MyTouch 3G supposedly running Android 2.2 Froyo – afterall we know how easily those “About” screens are faked. But after some trolling (”No one cares, take this $#!* to XDA”) and small talk [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Sweet. It's one of the most wanted/voted features in the Google Developer's site.
  3. mez

mez Well-Known Member

That is a very nice feature for some and i can see why devs would like it as it means all their users are running the same.

As a user tho I don't think its a feature id turn on. Maybe for one or two apps but for mosti wouldn't use it.

I'm still running 1.5 hero and I doubt ill ever see 2.1/2.2 on a HTC device my next phone will not be HTC.

Anyway when I first got this phone I had an app which was great and free I did an update without reading new reviews and it turned the app in to an ad supported one. If id known I wouldn't have updated. That's why I wouldn't use this feature. I uninstalled and found another adfree version. If id been told it changed the app to ad supported I either wouldn't have updated or would have bought the donate version, for me it was simply thefact the information didn't say ads that I went to another developer.

As I said I can see it bwing useful but I wouldnt use it.
  4. hocturnalsoul

hocturnalsoul Well-Known Member

they will probably add an option in settings to turn off automatic updates for apps
  5. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I would hope it could be turned off, I have 5 or so apps that I won't update because reviews after the update all talk about FC's and other problems.
  6. jasnmb

jasnmb Well-Known Member

Looking at the 2nd photo in the phandroid article, it looks like you have to opt in for each app to receive auto updates.
  7. saltorio

saltorio Well-Known Member

That seems like it would be the best way to do it, as long as it's opt-in, rather than opt-out.
  8. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

i dont necessarily want an auto update feature as much as i would like to be able to receive a notification for an app update, go to the market and click my menu key and tell it to 'update all'
  9. mez

mez Well-Known Member

after going to the market have a tick box and have a update all selected...

that would be a really good way to take this feature forward
  10. romek

romek Member

agreed, the UPDATE ALL button is something that should have been in there from day one.

Auto-Update should have been there on day two. :)