Android 2.2 for Eris from Verizon?General

Last Updated:

1. markdmac

markdmac Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is the Eris at end of life as far as OS upgrades? I have 2.1 now and am wondering if I will ever see 2.2.

2.2 introduced support for Exchange policies and I would like to see that support added to my phone.

A friend with an Incredible got an update to 2.2 on Verizon, but so far my Eris remains at 2.1.

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

2.1 will be the last official update. If you want 2.2, your going to have to root. There are some unoffical 2.2 ROMs.

3. Joe_Evaristo

Joe_Evaristo Well-Known Member

After HTC refused to fix a problem their MR4 update created, I filed a BBB report--after trying 3 other support reps. The one who responded to my BBB filing said that HTC has no intention of releasing any more updates for the Eris--they know there are more bugs to fix and features that are desired, but they've decided it's not worth the effort.

4. markdmac

Thanks guys, I guess I will need to read up on rooting and give that a try. I was worried about doing that if it was going to prevent my phone from getting future updates, but it sounds like that won't happen no matter what. I read in one thread that rooting was easier these days. Can anyone point me to an instruction set for the Eris? If I root will I lose the HTC keyboard? That is the one thing I would really hate to lose. Compared to my Motorola, the HTC on screen keyboard is so much better.

5. kristanc

kristanc Well-Known Member

6. smacky

smacky Banned

They haven't said they won't, but I don't think it will happen.

7. ToastPwnz

ToastPwnz Well-Known Member

I think it was confirmed a while back that they had officially decided that the Eris will never get 2.2.
    Was the Eris even out for a year? If it was, it can't have been much over a year.

8. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

The Eris still hasn't been out for a year...won't have been till this November.

9. markdmac

I just used the Universal 1 Click Eris App Apk. So easy I can't believe I waited so long. I paid for setCPU to overclock the CPU. Was hoping for better speeds than 520 but that is all I got out of it. Nice to know I could slow it down with profiles when the screen is off too, that should extend my battery life.

My SLINGBOX application works great now.

10. smacky

smacky Banned

Oooo, you shouldn't have paid for it. Most ROMs have it incorporated into it.

You may need to flash a kernel? I dunno. I know you need to for most other devices.

11. markdmac

It wasn't until I started searching around more that I found free versions, still it was only $1.99 and I am not opposed to supporting someone's efforts with such a minimal fee.

I only rooted my existing image and did not load a new ROM, this method worked well for me as I did not need to set up my applications again.

I would however like to know if anyone else is getting better speeds out of a rooted Eris.

12. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

710 MHz is a obtainable by every Eris with some getting up as high as 806 or higher. You'll need a new kernel to go over the stock 528 MHz though. Just make a nand backup and try out some custom roms. xtrROM (if you use LauncherPro) and xtrSENSE (if you like the sense ui) are both good.

Head over to XDA and check out what's available.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=554

The author asked people to stop doing that actually. It's still free for XDA members though.

13. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

just like the Incredible will never see 3.0..officially

14. markdmac

Wow, 710 would be great, I wonder how hot that makes the phone witht he CPU operating so fast. If I do a Nandroid backup (which I did after rooting) will that preserve my applications and settings and let me restore those to the newly imaged phone?

15. markdmac

I am just now checking out xtraSense and it woudl apper that you lose the HTC keyboard that lets you hold down a key to get the alternate characters. Is there a way to get that back? That is the single most feature I love about this phone compared to my work phone which is a Moto Droid.

16. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I believe that all HTC has said is that all phones released in 2010 should get a 2.2 update. They never said that phones released in 2009 will not, but I think that we can read between the lines that they will not.

710 MHz for practically every Eris, but I have read posts by two people who have problems with 710 MHz. In fact, this has caused problems for them installing some ROMs which are overclocked by default to 710 MHz. One posted instructions that he must follow to manually clock down the ROM before first boot after the flash.

17. dcfan99

dcfan99 Well-Known Member

In any text input field, long press and it will pop up a menu that lets you toggle back and forth between the keyboards. Just long press, choose "Input method" and choose "Touch Input" (that is the HTC keyboard). It exists in both xtrSense and xtrROM.

18. markdmac

I am wondering if there is a way to export that keyboard from my Eris so I can also use it on my Droid?

19. smacky

smacky Banned

20. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Heh, I just saw that Computerworld article and came right here to post.

21. namu1107

namu1107 Well-Known Member

Poor Poor penguins... ist2_822290-penguin-cartoon.jpg

22. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

markdmac likes this.
  23. markdmac

Just installed it on my Droid, I LOVE IT!!! Thanks so much for telling me where to find it. Works great and makes the Droid usable.

24. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

Root is the best thing I ever did. Running KaosFroyo. No lag, no sense UI. love it.

25. markdmac

I rooted mine with KaosFroyo too. Only problems I have are:

1. No live wallpapers will run on it.
    2. Can't find a widget the same as stock Clock and Weather
    3. Quick Profiles does a ForceClose when I try to set any volume controls.