• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 FroYo and battery life

muzland

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone who has upgraded to 2.2 can comment on relative battery life to 2.1 for instance.

I have a HTC desire and battery life is OK. I would like to upgrade to 2.2 when available but I am worried that the extra performance is at the expense of battery life.

Regards
Muzland

faster loading means less cpu time means less power. Google states JIT in 2.2 uses less cpu and battery

Android Developers Blog: Dalvik JIT

To be clear, the differences aren’t always dramatic, nor do they apply uniformly to all applications. Code that is written to run the CPU all-out can now do more in the same amount of time (running faster), and code that is written to be rate-limited can get its work done using less time and less of the CPU (using less battery). On the performance front in particular, we have seen realistic improvements of 2x to 5x for CPU-bound code, compared to the previous version of the Dalvik VM. This is equivalent to about 4x to 10x faster than a more traditional interpreter implementation.

Upvote 0
I've just upgraded to 2.2 on Desire, I used the juicedefender app to prolong battery life slightly and with normal use would last 1 - 1.5 days. Since upgrade the longest it has lasted it 7 hours. Something is seriously wrong, even on standby with nothing on overnight it still drained at an almost maximum rate and was dead by 7 am. Not happy.

Upvote 0
Yeah, to follow up on tinmice's, post, I have a Moto Droid, and I manually updated to 2.2 on Tuesday night. I barely got 9 hours out of it yesterday, and I'm a light user, it sits on my desk most of the day, except when I play the occasional game in the men's room. Today it looks like I'm going to get about the same. I used to get 12-15 hours out of it pre-2.2 update.

Upvote 0
i had a bunch of widgets on my homescreen, and my display was using about 78% of my battery, and my battery was dead after about 6 hours even on standby. I removed most of my widgets and it seems to have worked. my battery has been unplugged for over 12 hours, and my battery isn't even at half. Not 100% sure if this is what helped it. Give it a try and let me know. BTW, i am using the motorola droid with 2.2

Upvote 0
I changed to a fresh conditioned battery and went to the store. I looked at my phone and it told me of the DL. I started the download and shopped for 15min or so, took another 5min for phone to reboot.

First thing I noticed was my battery was at 75%.

Went home and had the phone idling for another 1hr. I looked at the phone again and it was down to 25%. So yes I can tell the difference. Not cool

Upvote 0
I changed to a fresh conditioned battery and went to the store. I looked at my phone and it told me of the DL. I started the download and shopped for 15min or so, took another 5min for phone to reboot.

First thing I noticed was my battery was at 75%.

Went home and had the phone idling for another 1hr. I looked at the phone again and it was down to 25%. So yes I can tell the difference. Not cool

Like previous post writer said, wipe phone. then install again. Probe something or some app causing it.

Upvote 0
I upgraded my Moto Driod (original) recently and now I am lucky to get 6-8 hours of life outta the phone where I used to get 1.5 days.

I'm not a heavy app user, although I do have several installed that I use on occasion. Weather Bug is the only app that runs dynamically, so most of the time the phone is idle.

Not too happy with what I'm getting.

If I blow the phone away to do a hard reset now, will I get the upgrade message again? My wife's phone didn't get the upgrade message until a week after I'd gotten mine & upgraded.

Cheers,
C

Upvote 0
I upgraded my Moto Driod (original) recently and now I am lucky to get 6-8 hours of life outta the phone where I used to get 1.5 days.

I'm not a heavy app user, although I do have several installed that I use on occasion. Weather Bug is the only app that runs dynamically, so most of the time the phone is idle.

Not too happy with what I'm getting.

If I blow the phone away to do a hard reset now, will I get the upgrade message again? My wife's phone didn't get the upgrade message until a week after I'd gotten mine & upgraded.

Cheers,
C

A factory reset will not revert you to an older OS. There are several posts in. These forums on how to perform a reset. It just wipes data on the phones internal memory/storage. These are the directions I followed. Before executing, in order for your apps to download for you again after you re-activate and set up Google again, go to Privacy settings and make the two boxes are checked: Back up my Data and automatically restore.

How to hard reset the Motorola DROID - Know Your Cell

Upvote 0
I have upgraded my HTC Desire from 2.1 to 2.2. I found the battery life to be reduced by at least 20%.
Having charged my desire overnight, normally my battery used to go to amber/red at around 9-10 PM.
But from the time I upgraded to 2.2. The battery started to go to amber/red by 6-7 in the evening.
My usage pattern has not changed and I still use the same apps I used to use when I was on 2.1. It has been 5 days since I upgraded and I have noticed this reduction in battery life every day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones