• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 2.2 & GPS w/ phone call

kernels

Lurker
Apr 30, 2010
Someone on another post posted that under the new update you can no longer use the GPS and take a phone call. I immediately thought this guy was a dumb ass but to my surprise he was correct. Once you take the phone call the data connection is lost.
So my question is which really dumb engineer thought this was a good idea? Seriously that is about the dumbest thing I can think of! Like people dont take phone calls while trying to find their way to someplace? WTF:(

Prior to 2.2 you could use the GPS and also carry on a phone conversation without lossing the ability to continue getting directions. Please check your facts prior to posting.

Please state things more accurately then. You said the "data connection" was lost, not the GPS signal. That's what happens when you get a phone call, you lose your 3G data connection. I don't know how far ahead Google Navigation caches things, but I wouldn't think it would be the entire trip. Without a data connection, I would think you would eventually get beyond the cached data and lose the ability to receive directions.

Upvote 0
I know for a fact that the google navigator will work without data connected. Here was my scenario: Before leaving for the airport which is 2 hours away I started the navigation on the route while connected to wifi. When I left the driveway, I forgot it was still connected to wifi and the 3g was NOT on. I made it all the way to the airport, 2 hours away, and it never stopped giving me turn by turn directions. When I got to the airport and went to stop the navigation I was surprised to see the wifi icon with a slash through it. Which means it wasn't receiving any data at all, it had cached the entire trip.

So yea, you do loose 3g connection while on a call. But the navigator will still work for quite some time.

You said that this topic is from another thread, are you restating it just to jump on the 2.2 sucks bandwagon? Because this aspect of the phone still works fine.

Upvote 0
Someone on another post posted that under the new update you can no longer use the GPS and take a phone call. I immediately thought this guy was a dumb ass but to my surprise he was correct. Once you take the phone call the data connection is lost.
So my question is which really dumb engineer thought this was a good idea? Seriously that is about the dumbest thing I can think of! Like people dont take phone calls while trying to find their way to someplace? WTF:(

Not true, yesterday, I was on the call and using Navigation, i was able to get the directions from Navigation from the ear piece while on the phone.

Upvote 0
I know for a fact that the google navigator will work without data connected. Here was my scenario: Before leaving for the airport which is 2 hours away I started the navigation on the route while connected to wifi. When I left the driveway, I forgot it was still connected to wifi and the 3g was NOT on. I made it all the way to the airport, 2 hours away, and it never stopped giving me turn by turn directions. When I got to the airport and went to stop the navigation I was surprised to see the wifi icon with a slash through it. Which means it wasn't receiving any data at all, it had cached the entire trip.

So yea, you do loose 3g connection while on a call. But the navigator will still work for quite some time.

You said that this topic is from another thread, are you restating it just to jump on the 2.2 sucks bandwagon? Because this aspect of the phone still works fine.

I can see I have some experimenting to do. I was under the impression that if the wifi went out of range the phone would switch over to 3G. (Don't recall where I got the impression though.)

Upvote 0
OK, the first part of my experiment is complete. I drove home from work using Google Nav. I set up the route and started driving. My wife called me and I answered. Google Nav continued to give me directions just fine. However, as part of the experiment I took a "wrong" turn while on the phone. Directions stopped coming. After a while I hit the power button to wake up the phone and it immediately said "Data Connection Lost." This is what I expected to happen. It had cached the route, but was unable to recover when it needed to recalculate. I hung up and navigation took back over and recalculated.

I still need to do the experiment with Wifi and going out of range with it on.

Upvote 0
I don't understand it fully, as I've never researched it, but it's a limitation of CDMA. You can't have a data connection active while on a voice connection.

Edit: I mean a 3G data connection of course. Wifi and voice work fine together, I think...

To my surprise, that's not always true. I troubleshooted a call with an end-user using a HTC Imagio. He was having problems setting up one of his e-mail addresses. I asked to call him back on another line and he assured me that he had the ability to use data while on his call. Sure as sugar, as we continued the troubleshooting, he received my test e-mail and I got his reply back while he was still on the device.

Now, that particular device is capable of using Verizons TV feature, so I wonder if it had an extra radio or something.

But to the main point of this thread, it does seem counterproductive to disable the phone radio when GPS is being used.

Upvote 0
To my surprise, that's not always true. I troubleshooted a call with an end-user using a HTC Imagio. He was having problems setting up one of his e-mail addresses. I asked to call him back on another line and he assured me that he had the ability to use data while on his call. Sure as sugar, as we continued the troubleshooting, he received my test e-mail and I got his reply back while he was still on the device.

Now, that particular device is capable of using Verizons TV feature, so I wonder if it had an extra radio or something.

But to the main point of this thread, it does seem counterproductive to disable the phone radio when GPS is being used.

I would imagine he was on wifi, though the theory about Verizon TV might hold water too. Not sure.

Upvote 0
OK, I've done my wifi experiment. I turned on wifi and started up navigaiton using it. I drove out of range and it continued to give me directions. After a while I made a "wrong" turn and the directions stopped. After a minute or so, it started giving directions again. I did a couple more wrong turns and there was no delay on giving recalculated directions. I even received an e-mail on the trip. When I arrived at my destination, I looked at the phone and the "wifi disconnected" icon was in the notification bar, but the 3G icon was there as well. So it seems like when the navigation system needed a data connection, and wifi wasn't available, it switched over to 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones