Android 2.2 Has Killed My Battery

Last Updated:

1. del2484

del2484 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This could be a complete coincidence, but ever since I updated to 2.2 my battery has been terrible. I'm talking virtually no use and lasting four hours. I'll have it sitting in my pocket for a half hour, take it out and the battery will be 115-120 degrees. It's driving me nuts. This is what spare parts and the phone's battery usage say is draining it:

Launcher - 39 - 1703078ms
    Facebook - 3 - 466879
    MLB.com - 4 - 222910
    Gmail - 2- 197828
    Handcent - 4 - 156919
    Settings - 3 - 147465
    Foursquare - 2 111603
    Battery Left - 11 - 51004

Display 23%
    Email 22
    Android System 15
    Android OS 7
    Idle 6
    Maps 4
    Gmail 4
    Launcher 3

Does any of this look out of the ordinary? Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
  2. del2484

I forgot to mention, that's what it said when there was 5-10% left on the battery.

3. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Have you done a factory reset yet? I have absolutely great battery life on 2.2 (Sapphire 1.0.0), but had good battery life on stock FRG01B as well.

4. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I have 30% battery left right now and it has been unplugged for 18hrs 32min and 30sec. All with moderate usage. My top battery user is voice calls at 53% everything else is at 5% or lower (mostly lower).

I'm happy with this. I can't expect my smart phone battery to last two or three days like my dumb phone battery did.

Kratos

5. browntown

browntown Member

Factory reset is the way to go. I had the same issue with 2.2 until I did a reset.

6. del2484

Thanks a lot. I'll try the factory reset.

Are there any good links on how best to back up everything? Obviously looking for the quickest and easiest way to get my phone back to the way it was, minus the battery issues of course.

7. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

As far as apps are concerned, I think app brain is the best. I've been told that Android will automatically reinstall your free apps, but I've never tried it before. As long as you have sync turned on for Google and your account, it will automatically backup and restore your contacts, calendar, and email.

Kratos

8. joncarwash

joncarwash Active Member

I, too, had battery problems after the 2.2 OTA update. I did a factory reset yesterday and things seem to be better so far. Also keep tabs on the running tasks/widgets and try to remove anything that could be sucking down battery (I removed WorldWideTime widget, which may have contributed to my issues, I'll try adding it back and checking later). Also, I had no problem with app repopulation using the Google backup alone. They reinstalled rather quickly, actually.

9. browntown

browntown Member

Try Lookout Mobile. All my apps reinstalled automatically - I wasn't expecting this. I had written them all down so I could re-download them. Contacts will be recovered through your google account. Also try to move as many apps to SD card that you can. Only a few might be set up for that capability at this point (new feature with 2.2). Do that through Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All. Then go through each app and see if you can "Move to SD card".

Good luck!

10. del2484

Thanks for all your help. I did a factory reset and the battery appears to be back to normal. Frustrating, but happy it was a relatively easy fix.