• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 on Eris

You guys nailed it. Anyone know how I can "end of life" my contract??

Actually, this makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better for Verizon to offer a 'New Every Year' program rather than 'New Every Two' to limit the number of EOL devices they have to support and thus hear complaints about when people can't get the OS they want.

Wait, nevermind - that's how they make the extra $$$, by making people break their contracts ;)

Upvote 0
great news Eris users. HTC is skipping Froyo and Gingerbread and releasing HoneyBun for the Eris instead. Features include HTML5 support, memory allocation and partition, Root control stock enabled, USB and Bluetooth sync to PC or laptop, HD Google Voice integration, and MultiTask+

I am still waiting for the Banana split Eris........By the way...anyone know on the progress on rooting Froyo?

Upvote 0
That 2 year contract is for the service they're providing us.
Verizon could care less what phone we are using....

caring.png

;)

Reactions: laurentypo
Upvote 0
Here's how I see it. We have a basic Froyo already running on the Eris. This will get better as they work on it more. Eventually 2.2 and up will be coming to the Incredible. So all we have to wait for is the basic part of a fully functional base 2.2 running on the Eris and then strip out the HTC specific stuff that has been ported to run on 2.2 on the Incredible. (Sense and all that) and try to overlay it on the base 2.2.

That's how is see it.

Upvote 0
Here's how I see it. We have a basic Froyo already running on the Eris. This will get better as they work on it more. Eventually 2.2 and up will be coming to the Incredible. So all we have to wait for is the basic part of a fully functional base 2.2 running on the Eris and then strip out the HTC specific stuff that has been ported to run on 2.2 on the Incredible. (Sense and all that) and try to overlay it on the base 2.2.

That's how is see it.

yup:)

Upvote 0
I read today that Google is slating 2.3 to come out in Q4. Why don't they just stop making iterations, put all of the cool new stuff in to one version, then release it to everyone at the same time instead of releasing one every four months?! That way we could all enjoy the same features instead of feeling disappointed after getting a LONG sought after update because there's a newer version out there.

HTC Will Upgrade Most Phones to Android 2.2, Android 2.3 on Track for Q4 - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

It might be easier to update in smaller increments than large ones like 1.5 to 2.1

Upvote 0
It might be easier to update in smaller increments than large ones like 1.5 to 2.1

I'm sure of that.

As long as I had my Blackberries I never saw such a far-reaching upgrade as we've seen with this 1.5 to 2.1 OTA.

The little ones, such as the MR2, seem to make much more sense in so many different ways, not the least of which is quality control of smaller software developing.

Upvote 0
Yes, I dug up a fairly old thread.

If someone gets vanilla 2.2 running essentially bug free on the Eris, I'd be tempted to load it. I could always use one of the other home apps to spice up my phone, instead of HTC Sense. There are some features in 2.2 that I'd really like to have.

On a side note, when a persons sig says "WARNING Posts May Contain Anywhere between 30 - 100% SARCASM", it always baffles me when people take their post seriously.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Nice job. And congratulations on your 1000th post; however I have a sense that it may have been over in that "other" forum. ;)

lol.
I'm not sure. I didn't even realize it until I hit 1002. I kinda wish I would have made sure my 1000th post was meaningful. Or at least that I had a beer in one hand.
Oh well... 2000 here i come :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones