Android 2.2 USB/Wifi tethering - connect to PC from device

Last Updated:

1. g_kishor

g_kishor Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I upgraded my Nexus one to Froyo (2.2). After the upgrade I am able to enable USB and Wifi tethering on my nexus one and able to connect to internet from my PC (running Windows 7) via the 3G connection on my mobile.

The question I have is:
    once I enable tetherings, I see that my PC has a new IP address (something like 192.168.42.43). Now, if I have a webserver (lets say Apache) running on my PC and I would like to connect to it from the browser running in Nexus One, I am not sure what should be the IP address given in the browser URL. I tried http://192.168.42.43 but Nexus one says host not found. I have a web application running on my PC and would need to access the web app from my Nexus one. Is this possible? I have done through the Android emulator that ships with SDK, but need to do this from a real phone for a client demo. Is this possible?

I understand that I can setup a home network with a Wifi router and achiveve this using the router, but want to know if it can achieved using the new tethering capabilities of Android.

Thanks,
    Kishor

Advertisement
  2. worker1

worker1 Well-Known Member

If the nexus is doing nat you will not be able to forward ports.
    perhaps it is more like internet connection sharing, or an ad hoc connection which routes traffic.
    try visiting whatismyip.com on both devices.

3. Buck Shot

Buck Shot Well-Known Member

4. muzicman0

muzicman0 Well-Known Member

I don't have a webserver on my laptop at work, however, I was able to ping my laptop from the phone...so, unless there are some restrictions on TCP ports (port 80), I would think that you should be able to use the ip of the laptop. I'll check this when I get home tonight (if I have time).

mm0