• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.3 & 4.0 WiFi Internet HD 1080P HDMI Google TV Box ARM Cortex A9 Firmware

The flash player gets customized on the site above. I mean prooblem is not loading a different player... Btw. Working flash player on 2.3.4 did have exactly same controls, interface etc.

i just tested the world at war video link on 2.3.4 and it does not work. a message pops up saying cannot play video.

UPDATE: also, the small ir remote control no longer works. support has been lost.

i also noticed stane that you removed the vplay boot logo and put the standard android back on. yet i still get the mouse pointer turns into vplay screen problem as well. that kinda points to some kinda cache not getting cleared somewhere, doesnt it?
EDIT: I just looked inside yer update.zip and saw yer aml boot vplay logo..so my device is not loading that properly. cos i still have the green android logo even after multiple flashings.

Also, Stane1983, news and weather is missing again.

Upvote 0
Try changing browser mode to desktop. If you then have flash installed properly on 2.3.4 it should play nicely.
Btw. I mean a browser which allows that, such as dolphin hd.

Thanks! that worked great on 2.3.4. i forgot to check the browser type settings.

it also got audio working on 4.0.3 but then video went garbled and then unit crashed.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I assume you have f16ref board (rev 2). I'm aware of problem for not remembering screen scaling/resolution settings and this is fixed, will release new firmware today or tomorrow morning for both devices (c03ref and f16ref). I'll post here when uploaded.

About mouse pointer, I promise I'll dive in that problem, same things happens on both devices, seems it's not kernel related but Android...

mine is c03ref , as was reported on 2.3.4 previous firmware

so i installed the 20120612 for c03ref.

however, keep up this great job! you are in the right path to obtain a great firmware.

another thing, how can one to preserve installed applications when upgrading the firmware? it's mandatory to reinstall everything everytime with e.g. titanium backup or manually? because on mobile phones there is no wipe version of roms..is this a thing you can implement in future? or this is not possible for android tv boxes?

Upvote 0
mine is c03ref , as was reported on 2.3.4 previous firmware

so i installed the 20120612 for c03ref.

however, keep up this great job! you are in the right path to obtain a great firmware.

another thing, how can one to preserve installed applications when upgrading the firmware? it's mandatory to reinstall everything everytime with e.g. titanium backup or manually? because on mobile phones there is no wipe version of roms..is this a thing you can implement in future? or this is not possible for android tv boxes?

For now I'm forcing of data partition to be formated cause people who come from stock rom directly will have problems due to different partition sizes. I'll figure something out about it...

Upvote 0
I just saw Amlogic released new version of sources, so I'm downloading it now... I see that there are changes in kernel (that's for f16ref users) and in Android framework as well, so I believe they solved some issues, perhaps mouse pointer, flash and netflix too :)

It should be downloaded over the night, so I will delay my next fw release for tomorrow or day after...

Btw, not to worry, I'll include all my changes into new sources...

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by dam1679
how do you turn the tv box off? Do you just unplug it?
it didnt come with a remote control so, do i have another choice?

dam1679 buy from markets a simple ACV RF transmitter+receiver with remote control to turn on-off device easy, cost about 15$..[/QUOTE]

hi. i dont know what it is, but i will look for it in google. does the unit damage if i dont turn it off for days?
thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks! that worked great on 2.3.4. i forgot to check the browser type settings.

it also got audio working on 4.0.3 but then video went garbled and then unit crashed.

Yep. That's exactly the behaviour I get as well on stane's 4.0.3. I have no clue how we can solve this. Swapping files may be a (partial) solution ? But which ? I guess geniatech's 4.0.3 should be stable, or at least I haven't seen anybody complaining about flash on their forums.

Upvote 0
dam1679 buy from markets a simple ACV RF transmitter+receiver with remote control to turn on-off device easy, cost about 15$..

hi. i dont know what it is, but i will look for it in google. does the unit damage if i dont turn it off for days?
thanks[/QUOTE]

Well, take a look here, for one receiver:
Wireless Remote Control US AC Power Socket Outlet Switch Plug 220V 500W | eBay

or here, with more receivers, to control more appliances:
Wireless Remote Control AC Power Socket Outlet Plug Switch+Transmitter for light | eBay

I did not buy one of them, I bought something similar from local store.
Check voltage before to buy, should be according ACV you have at home, 220V or 110V.
Better do not keep unit power on for log time, heat could damage smth.

Upvote 0
thanks

Well, take a look here, for one receiver:
Wireless Remote Control US AC Power Socket Outlet Switch Plug 220V 500W | eBay

or here, with more receivers, to control more appliances:
Wireless Remote Control AC Power Socket Outlet Plug Switch+Transmitter for light | eBay

I did not buy one of them, I bought something similar from local store.
Check voltage before to buy, should be according ACV you have at home, 220V or 110V.
Better do not keep unit power on for log time, heat could damage smth.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

Upvote 0
Yeah, any application can be installed that way. But when saying that, I was thinking of adding more permissions to Market app list so it is actually available for download trough market...

About new sources... stay tuned... connection to Amlogic repository server (which is located in China) rocks.... Currently downloading 3 Kb/s :D

Speed will increase about 10 pm my time (from my experience), I'm GMT+1, Central European time...

ah ok.
could you make shazam work on your tv box? i downloaded shazam encore v3.9.1 but it doesn

Upvote 0
stane1983, help, please! Today I received my ATV-108 rev 2 f16 ref device and I almost immediately put your firmware on it with the recovery mod sd card. After a few hours I've decided to get back to factory settings, mostly because I didn't find any way to turn off the device off with the remote and the display setting was crashing every time I've tryed do fix them. So after a seconds your logo was on the screen for about maybe 10-15 min., si I decided to turn off the device from the power, and then he just didn't turn on at all - not after another try with the paperclip on a reset button with the card on it - it just dont blinks at all, neither once (and it need three times) and nothing happens. Is my new device totally bricked or there is some hope :thinking: Please, any help will be higly appreciated! Thank you and all other guys in advance for your help and contribution!! Also sorry for my english...

btw I've tryed two different cards, since I've noticed similar situation with matinaki a few pages back, same story, nothing changes, any particular type& size of preferred SD card for booting? And if that is the reason for all my troubles, why the device didn't blinked at all in any used card ( one 4GB SDHC (it worked fine with the very first update)+one micro sd 16gb with adapter)?

Upvote 0
stane1983, help, please! Today I received my ATV-108 rev 2 f16 ref device and I almost immediately put your firmware on it with the recovery mod sd card. After a few hours I've decided to get back to factory settings, mostly because I didn't find any way to turn off the device off with the remote and the display setting was crashing every time I've tryed do fix them. So after a seconds your logo was on the screen for about maybe 10-15 min., si I decided to turn off the device from the power, and then he just didn't turn on at all - not after another try with the paperclip on a reset button with the card on it - it just dont blinks at all, neither once (and it need three times) and nothing happens. Is my new device totally bricked or there is some hope :thinking: Please, any help will be higly appreciated! Thank you and all other guys in advance for your help and contribution!! Also sorry for my english...

btw I've tryed two different cards, since I've noticed similar situation with matinaki a few pages back, same story, nothing changes, any particular type& size of preferred SD card for booting? And if that is the reason for all my troubles, why the device didn't blinked at all in any used card ( one 4GB SDHC (it worked fine with the very first update)+one micro sd 16gb with adapter)?

what i do is this:

ONLY USE WINXP. either real or VM but its gotta be WINDOWS XP.
Download SDTOOL from stanes downloads site.
I only use 1GB or smaller sd cards. NOT SDHC! i havent tried too many sdhc cards, but all my larger than 2GB cards fail. but my regular 1GB plain sd card works every time!
Use SDTOOL to make special 'boot' card, copy ROM files to card and voila!

just follow the instructions above or that come with SDTOOL froms stanes downloads site.

http://downloads.v-play.com.hr/

Upvote 0
what i do is this:

ONLY USE WINXP. either real or VM but its gotta be WINDOWS XP.
Download SDTOOL from stanes downloads site.
I only use 1GB or smaller sd cards. NOT SDHC! i havent tried too many sdhc cards, but all my larger than 2GB cards fail. but my regular 1GB plain sd card works every time!
Use SDTOOL to make special 'boot' card, copy ROM files to card and voila!

just follow the instructions above or that come with SDTOOL froms stanes downloads site.

V-Play download section

Thank you for your answer! I've just tryed also micro sd 1GB with adapter, but no luck at all for now - is the adapter a problem in your opinion?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answer! I've just tryed also micro sd 1GB with adapter, but no luck at all for now - is the adapter a problem in your opinion?

try making the sdcard on another machine if possible. some machines use a usb bus that doesnt play nice with SDTOOL.

also, explain to me how you are making the card? are you copying the ROM files to it after you do the uboot copy?

Upvote 0

Hi friend
My box reacted just like yours, no blinking lights at all.
In the beginning I used SDHC 8Gb but not successfully.
The second card I used was SD 250Mb with adapter
and this one was successful.
If you do whole procedure right, then problem is on the cards.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I didn't mention it, but I myself do have one c03ref and one f16ref device with fried bootloader that cannot be repaired with recovery sdcard. LeftyVz and I did little research and managed to get c03ref to life...

Bootloader is placed on 512Kb SPI flash (picture here). On the left side of picture is f16ref board, on the right side is c03ref board.

SPI chips are the same and they are in orange circles :)

On c03ref pin 1 is located in upper left corner.
On f16ref pin 1 is located in top row - first from the right side

We used schematics and utilities from this Russian webpage:
Форум ICONBIT.RU • Просмотр темы - Восстановление Toucan W после неудачной прошивки

On that page, they used different chip, but pinout and technique used is the same.

As I said, we managed with those instructions to recover c03ref.... still have issues with f16ref, will report back to you with some more info...

Just to be noted, c03ref board when uboot is not found on SPI, it will load uboot from recovery sdcard. That is not the case (always) when using f16ref board.

Upvote 0
are you copying the ROM files to it after you do the uboot copy?

Exactly! I make one "UpdateKit" folder after doing the uboot with sd tool, there i put all the 7 files, and just to be sure, I copied all of them on the root once more. I used 3 cards allready, no sign of sucess. I guess I can try from another XP machine, but I'm starting to think that maybe the problem is in the f16ref board, as stane1983 mentioned in his last post. I guess I'll try to send it back in the worst case and hope for some refund, who knows...thank you for all your help and good advices, if you have some new ideas, I will be glad to try it..

Upvote 0
Hi,

I didn't mention it, but I myself do have one c03ref and one f16ref device with fried bootloader that cannot be repaired with recovery sdcard. LeftyVz and I did little research and managed to get c03ref to life...

Bootloader is placed on 512Kb SPI flash (picture here). On the left side of picture is f16ref board, on the right side is c03ref board.

SPI chips are the same and they are in orange circles :)

On c03ref pin 1 is located in upper left corner.
On f16ref pin 1 is located in top row - first from the right side

We used schematics and utilities from this Russian webpage:
Форум ICONBIT.RU • Просмотр темы - Восстановление Toucan W после неудачной прошивки

On that page, they used different chip, but pinout and technique used is the same.

As I said, we managed with those instructions to recover c03ref.... still have issues with f16ref, will report back to you with some more info...

Just to be noted, c03ref board when uboot is not found on SPI, it will load uboot from recovery sdcard. That is not the case (always) when using f16ref board.

f16ref will be fixed tomorrow... :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones