• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 2.3 can't receive text messages

pKOR

Lurker
Aug 15, 2011
I just installed gingerbread and I am no longer receiving text messages. I've tried the default Messaging app as well as Handcent which I used with Froyo, and I've tried texting myself which doesn't work. It says it sent but the message is not received. However, if I use WhatsApp, it's fine. How can I fix it?

I just installed gingerbread and I am no longer receiving text messages. I've tried the default Messaging app as well as Handcent which I used with Froyo, and I've tried texting myself which doesn't work. It says it sent but the message is not received. However, if I use WhatsApp, it's fine. How can I fix it?

Which gingerbread ROM did you install? And, just to ask the question, are you Verizon Wireless or another carrier?

Upvote 0
I got the ROM here somewhere. It's called vanilla something. I originally had the kaos thing installed and it was all screwed up so I posted here and someone sent me a link to the vanilla. I got that figured out and installed but it seems that everything works except the text messaging. I'm on the Verizon network.

It's Condemned CM7 V17 - Vanilla

Upvote 0
Sorry that you're having this trouble. This happened to me once, and the best solution was to restore the Eris stock ROM, or at least close-to-stock custom ROM (such as PlainJane, xtrSENSE, xtrROM, etc.).

When you rooted the phone, did you create a Nandroid backup before you installed the KaosGingerbread ROM? If so, you can Nandroid backup what you have now, Nandroid restore stock, restart the phone, verify that texting works, and then Nandroid restore CondemnedSoul's CM7. I'll give you the steps if you let me know if you did a Nandroid backup. If not, there is another way.

Upvote 0
Nope, I didn't back it up in any way...

I also ended up doing a hard reset and erasing my SD card in the process of trying to figure out how to fix the kaosgingerbread before I found out it was just an incomplete system. So, I guess I basically have the "good" gingerbread operating system and nothing else. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Ok, you're basically going to do the following steps:

1. Download xtrSENSE5.0.1.zip and copy the zip file to your SD card, just as you did for KaosGingerbread and CS's CM7. xtrSENSE is here: http://zach.xtr.i6ix.com/xtrSENSE5.0.1.zip
2. Power off the phone.
3. Restart in Recovery by holding down VolUp while you power up the phone.
4. When Recovery starts, go to the Backup/Restore menu
5. Choose "Nand backup" and, when prompted, press the trackball to confirm. This will take a few minutes. Note the time it was when you ran this backup.
6. When the backup is complete and the menu returns, press VolDn to go back to the main menu.
7. Go to the Wipe menu
8. Go to "Wipe data/factory reset"
9. Then do "Wipe Dalvik cache"
10. Press VolDn to go back to the main menu.
11. Choose "Flash zip from SD card"
12. Choose xtrSENSE5.0.1.zip and, when prompted, press the trackball again to confirm.
13. When the flash is complete, it will return to the main menu. Choose Reboot system now.

This will restart the phone; it will take a few minutes to start completely. You will be prompted to go through the setup steps again. When the phone's launcher is visible, try going into the Messages app and sending a text message. See if it works. (At this point there is no reason to install any third party apps - just see if you can text.)

If it does not, try dialing *228 and choosing option 1 to reactivate the phone.

If that still doesn't fix the phone, you may need to call Verizon customer support to see if they can work through your problem. Sometimes it's a configuration problem on their end (though rarely.)

Once you get texting working with xtrSENSE, we're going to restore CondemnedSoul's CM7 using a similar process.

1. Power down the phone.
2. Restart in Recovery
3. Backup/Restore menu
4. Nand backup
5. When this is complete, Nand Restore

This will list all of the Nandroid backups that you have done (which should be two at this point.) They should have a filename that looks like:

BCS-20110815-2045

The first set of numbers are the date that you ran the Nandroid (yyyymmdd) and the second set are the time that the backup was run, in GMT or UTC time. (So, four hours ahead of EDT, or seven hours ahead of PDT.) The time code is hhmm in UTC. (So, the example above, 2045, is 8:45 pm UTC, which is 4:45 PM EDT, etc.)

So, remember when I asked you above to note the time that it was when you ran the first backup? Figure out which of the Nandroid backups was that one (it should also be the oldest one) and choose that from the list after you select "Nand restore" from the menu.

When this is done, press VolDn to go back to the main menu and choose "Reboot system now".

This will restart the phone (again, this will take a little longer than usual) with CM7 back as you left it before. When everything starts up, see if messaging now works.

Reactions: pKOR
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones