• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android 2.3 custom roms

First, you must root your device:
http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/221212-faq-rooting.html

Now, choose a ROM:
Amethyst
CrackFlasher CM7 [Unofficial]
GingerNinja
Ginger Villain
Oxygen 2.0
Ginger ReDux

Download the ROM and specified radio from the thread and place them anywhere on your sd card.

Then install Titanium and run a backup.

Turn your device off, turn it back on while holding down volume. Select recovery using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select.

In recovery, run a nandroid backup.

In recovery, perform a factory reset, then flash the ROM .zip from your sd card, flash the radio .zip from your sd card and reboot.

If you get stuck, send danfrance a message.

:)

Reactions: scaz and reech
Upvote 0
Dan - how are you finding GV? I've tried 0.7 and 0.8 and had problems with both. Also seen over on the xda forum that there does seem to be a few issues, are you finding it ok? Anything not working for you?

Very tempted to flash it again and see if I can get it to work but I really want a stable fully functioning ROM.

Upvote 0
hang about....that article doesnt mention rooting AT ALL in it...is that correct? it also mentioned the Google Nexus One being the only device with *Official* 2.3 on it....umm...as far as I knew the Nexus One HADNT got the update yet officially...only the Nexus S was running it...right?

well it does say your device needs to be rooted and unlocked. still not how sure i would be trying this if it were me... just saying

Upvote 0
well it does say your device needs to be rooted and unlocked. still not how sure i would be trying this if it were me... just saying

ah my bad...it was literally that one lil line....though in my defence, most 'guides' to installing new ROMS put "YOUR DEVICE MUST BE ROOTED" like a million times, because people will still try installing without root...I mean just look through some of the threads here lol....was an honest mistake guv'nor ;):p

Upvote 0
ah my bad...it was literally that one lil line....though in my defence, most 'guides' to installing new ROMS put "YOUR DEVICE MUST BE ROOTED" like a million times, because people will still try installing without root...I mean just look through some of the threads here lol....was an honest mistake guv'nor ;):p

Banned!! (wrong thread:p)
I agree though, it was almost like an after thought... 'oh yea, you must be rooted'

Upvote 0
Banned!! (wrong thread:p)
I agree though, it was almost like an after thought... 'oh yea, you must be rooted'

thats what I though too, I mean theres no mention of WHAT the actual ROM is...actually wait *goes off to see article again* :p

nope it DOESNT say what ROM it is....so...yea...im downloading it to have a look...im not gonna RUN it...just unpack it see if I can tell who or what it really is..I mean it cannot be a genuine right?

Upvote 0
thats what I though too, I mean theres no mention of WHAT the actual ROM is...actually wait *goes off to see article again* :p

nope it DOESNT say what ROM it is....so...yea...im downloading it to have a look...im not gonna RUN it...just unpack it see if I can tell who or what it really is..I mean it cannot be a genuine right?

True that! And if it there was a genuine one i don't think THATS where we would be hearing about it first:rolleyes:
I'm inclined to call BS on this one. Let us know what is up with that from what you can tell

Upvote 0
True that! And if it there was a genuine one i don't think THATS where we would be hearing about it first:rolleyes:
I'm inclined to call BS on this one. Let us know what is up with that from what you can tell

well downloaded and looked through the zip...and well its not full of junk text files pointing to Xrated sites....so thats a plus point lol

but theres nothing I can open (being a layman) that would show me what or who developed it or ripped it so to speak...so someone with more experience will have to have a look at it for us...I dunno if theres a certain file in there that if opened in windows you can see what version and who created it etc?

as I dont really wish to install it...being that there are no 100% working ROMS, though I know they are ALMOST there...im gonna wait to update when a 100% working ROM is out and LeeDroid does his own..

Upvote 0
Well Thats of course depending if HTC release one for the Desire. Leedroid hasn't ever ported from another HTC device I dont think has he?

But if DHD gets it, there will be other HTC sense based ports. Again, they will take a while to be 100% working. We still havent got a 100% DHD froyo port yet. Probably 98%...

yea thats why I like Leedroid hes working with 100% desire parts rather than ports....I mean im not saying the ports are bad, but just less issues and things are working quicker...

plus I love the boot up animation....always winds my other half up when R2D2 goes off....she thinks the animation is pretty cool though with the bios loader..

Upvote 0
Does anyone really like Stock ROM's, I used the Oxygen Gingerbread ROM for a couple of weeks, and although it was stable, fast etc I just hate the Stock UI and basic apps.

Can't wait for a Sense Gingerbread ROM!
Actually the first real change I made to my Desire, a few days after buying it and long before I rooted, never mind started flashing, was to ditch Sense. Installed ADW, later LauncherPro, never ran the Sense launcher again. If forced to choose between Launcher and Sense I'd take Launcher, but fortunately our choices aren't so limited.

As for the apps, I prefer the stock calendar (though have others, and still looking for the perfect one), dialer/contacts I've concluded are a matter of what you're used to, but feel no desire to go back, and I always used 3rd-party email and messaging. So the only Sense app whose absence was noticed was Teeter, which my daughter likes, but I've installed a couple of other labyrinth games which hopefully covers that ;).

Upvote 0
Does anyone really like Stock ROM's, I used the Oxygen Gingerbread ROM for a couple of weeks, and although it was stable, fast etc I just hate the Stock UI and basic apps.

Can't wait for a Sense Gingerbread ROM!

I love AOSP.

Replace stock messaging app with Handcent.
Replace stock email app with K9 Mail.
Replace stock launcher with Zeam, Launcher Pro or ADW.
Replace stock browser with Dolphin HD.
Replace stock music app with PowerAMP.
Replace stock dialer with Dialer One.
Replace stock lock screen with WidgetLocker.

Add some Adfree Android, Pulse News Reader, Astro File Manager, Titanium Backup, emulators, Droidwall, IMDB, SetCPU and a smart keyboard...

+ Whatever other apps you like

Then you have an amazing Android device :D

Oh, and don't forget Phandroid :p

Reactions: paulcooper
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones