1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Android 2.x : multitasking and killing apps

Last Updated:

1. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am considering getting a Motorola Milestone, which should ship with Android 2.something.

I have a Nokia, and I really like the multitasking of the Symbian environment. How is it going to be different with Android?

Is it a true multitasking os like Symbian or is it not, like the iphone?
    How do I switch from one application to another? Is there a button which shows all running apps?

I read comments that, on some phones, switching from the web browser to another app and then back to the browser causes the page to reload from scratch. Is this still true or was it a limitation of older versions?

Is there a task killer? I read very contradicting opinions on this, but I must say I do not understand why I should leave open an app I don't need, and how much an app left open uses system resources (battery life and RAM): I would have thought that its impact on system performance might have been minimal, but still > 0, right? Then why not close it altogether? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
  2. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member

Its true multi-tasking.

Holding on the home button shows the last few launched apps. Not quote what you are asking. But near enough.

I think it used to do this on my G1. But on my Nexus it doesn't

No. If you need one you can download a free one from the Market.

Mostly though, they don't use much CPU time. Usually just sitting there waiting for input. But some do use CPU and you have to kill them, or most nice applications also have a "Exit" option.

3. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

True. I came from Symbian, too.

Dunno about older phones, but my N1 certainly doesn't do this. I imagine the Droid doesn't, either.

Android is supposed to manage its memory well and make killing tasks unnecessary. I used to have a task killer app and used it obsessively. Now I don't, and what do you know, I have more free memory than before. Battery life lasts just as long, and the phone doesn't suffer from any performance problems either.

4. MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle Well-Known Member

Wait what the Iphone doesn't have a true multi-task?

I didn't know there was a difference in multi-tasking, can some one tell me the difference between true and not true?

5. Jukov

Jukov Member

iPhone doesn't have multitasking.
    You can listen to music while browsing etc., but that's about it

6. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There isn't a direct way to swicth from one open app to another. You have to minimize app1 (or whatever it is that the Iphone does when you press its only button), open app2, minimize it, then reopen app1.

Some apps will be where you left them, some others won't.

If you google 'iphone multitasking' you'll find lots of info.

7. thericksonebay

thericksonebay Active Member

just adding my 2 cents. when you use a app it runs and then when you are finished using what happens next is up to you. if you use the back button to back out of the app the its like hitting the x button on windows but if instead you hit the home button to go back then you have just left the app open in the background. so say for instance you are on the browser and hit the home button to start your music then click the browser again you start right where you left off. but if you use the back button to get out of the app then it closes it. dont know if that makes sense but thats how it works.