• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.x on Galaxy

DaSchmarotzer

Blame it on me
Mar 10, 2010
Qu
Welcome to the official Android 2.x thread on the Galaxy!

It has been confirmed multiple times that Samsung would not update the phone any further than Android 1.6. Their reason? They stated hardware, but when other phones with the same specs got updates, they simply said that they wouldn't do it.

So this means we'll never get 2.x on the Galaxy? Not at all! We are lucky to have developers working on porting 2.2 on the phone!

In fact, Mustymod ported 2.0 to the phone, but a lot of stuff didn't work, such as Wifi, Bluetooth, the camera, etc. It is not really a viable option for serious users, but it shows that it is possible to run 2.x on the Galaxy! You can still try it, look around if you are interested. Musty didn't finish the ROM, in fact he kind of disappeared. But it was still great to have him do that.

That's it? NO.

All of our hopes are now in the hands of Drakaz and other developpers, which I'll cite when their project is over. Drakaz is the one who did Galaxo, the best ROM for the Galaxy (and the custom recovery!), so we know he's a good developer, and he sure listens to feedback. He does it all for free, but he is accepting donations. ;)

What's their project? It's GAOSP. I think it stands for Galaxy Android Open Source Project. As of right now, GAOSP is a working 2.2 ROM still in development. Just like Mustymod, some things are not working yet, I'm talking about the camera, bluetooth, and a few more things, but it's getting better and better. There was one beta made available (for free, as usual), but there has been progress made since then.

RECENT PROGRESS:

June 9th 2010: 3D is working! Live wallpapers, Gallery3D, Neocore, etc, all work! ;) We're hoping for camera soon and some new stuff!

June 25th 2010: 2nd Beta available NOW! :D Check drakaz.com for instructions and the changelog!

July 23rd 2010: GAOSP is now based on Froyo! Nightly builds are now going to be released, starting today.

August 23rd 2010: There has been some development with the camera on GAOSP! Thanks to Nopy, the I7500 can now take 5MP pictures on Froyo! Video works too! (It's not perfect though, but it's getting better and better as I'm writing this! ;))

September 21st 2010: Camera has been working for a while now, thanks to Nopy and the team!

Websites:

drakaz.com
GAOSP on Google code
Drakaz github
Nopy's website

There's still hope for 2.x on the Galaxy, but not from Samsung! (don't forget that the ROM made by drakaz is better than the firmwares made by Samsung ;))

(The first replies down there might not make much sense now that the post has been modified.)

Just did it... it seem laggyer than the video... hehe and the samsung lock button doesn't work :D instead of it it's the shutdown button. And there is no gallery program .. grr

Edit 1: samsung unlock button works.. but it takes ages :D
Edit 2: Music player seems the same
phone works
functions are rather useless at this point... allot of stuff not working :D
Edit 3: best thing at this moment is the new unlocking screen
going back to IK4 now .. miss it allready NOT!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones