Android 3.0 and a Rooted Droid?

Last Updated:

1. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So this new stuff im hearnig about android 3.0 and needing 1ghz minimum. it seems like this would be the end of the line for us? but then i was thinking. if your rooted and overclocked...it should still work then right? i know its far in the future but im curious if my droid will be able to stand up in the near future. Im always bragging now about having the next os before it come out :) i sure wouldnt want to stop that.
    Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

At the rate Android is developing, the Droid will be a relic.

3. crackdroid1

crackdroid1 Well-Known Member

By the time Gingerbread comes out, It will probably not support the older drivers that developers can strip out of Froyo for Droid, so we will most likely not be getting 3.0...

4. condog

condog Well-Known Member

anyone else notice that google likes to skip numbers a lot? 1.6 to 2.0? 2.1 to 3.0?

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

the G1 is getting Froyo on it via cyanogenmod. I am willing to bet someone will get gingerbread on the droid.

6. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

Cyanogen's ability to grossly extend the life of the G1 should give us high hopes for someone shoving 3.0. onto the DROID. Not that we have much to go on info-wise on 3.0 anyway, hell 2.2 just dropped.

7. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

It's because 1.5 was a decent update to 1.0 but not enough for a full version change. 1.6 fine tuned 1.5

2.0 was a competely different upgrade, and 3.0 looks to be a whole new revamp

think of 1.6 as a service pack to windows xp, 2.1 is a Vista servicepack, and 3.0 is like Windows7

8. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Personally, I couldn't care less. First, we don't even have any solid AOSP-built ROMs yet nor have we gotten the 2.2 OTA, so there is just no real need for me to be worried about the next OS which probably won't even be released until next year. Second, by the time it drops, there will be a whole new batch of phones to choose from, and surely a badass slider to replace my droid will be one of them.

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

agreed....LTE phones will be starting to drop around that time too

10. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Well 3.0 is suppose to drop around 4th Q of this year (I've seen October being the month)... and it will be targeted at the newer higher end phones that are set to come out around that time. However all of this is being taken from some Russian guy's pod cast so nothing about it is even close to being set in stone.

I would say though that when 3.0 comes out it would be time to seriously consider upgrading your phone as the hardware will be leaps and bounds above what the Droid will be capable of...

11. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

When 3.0 comes out I will see which phones are rooted and which phone CM is working on to determine my next choice lol.

12. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

That is my game plan as well... great minds, yada yada... :)

13. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

im going for a huge screen next. haha if i have to upgrade thats what ill be looking for.

14. crazysoccerman14

crazysoccerman14 Well-Known Member

^^Agreed. I need a bigger screen to make browsing the web more feasible.

These forums and developers have been a bonus that exceeds far beyond the value of this phone, and I will make sure my next phone will have the same luxury.

15. condog

condog Well-Known Member

haha yah i know the reasoning behind it. just wanted to poke fun at google's lack of counting skills. :D