2. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

Yes. On February 17th, 2011.

3. billster2006

billster2006 Well-Known Member

really?

4. ZXMustang

ZXMustang Well-Known Member

As far as I have heard, the Droid X meets the minimum specs to be able to run the 3.0 stuff. Now that being said, that doesnt mean its a good idea to do it. Keep in mind that Apple did this same thing when the iOS4 came out. It was really made for the iphone 4, but worked on the 3g and 3gs. On the 3gs it worked good, but on the 3g it worked like a snale and slowed the phone down to a crawl. Most of the owners were crying within a week that they wanted the older software back. That was a mistake to put it on the 3g, but everyone wanted it and jumped in before it was tested. I obviously dont know what will happen with 3.0 and the X, but Im sure it will be better than what apple did.

5. dmiller2007

Lol no. I was trying to make a joke. But I wouldn't be surprised if it gets it officially. I don't see phones making THAT large of strides between now and end of the year (gingerbread supposed release time) the droid started on 2.0(2.0.1 technically) and made it to 2.2. Despite having half the processing power of the current crop.

6. redgtconv

redgtconv Well-Known Member

I am not so sure that Motorola will put the time and money into upgrading a phone it wil no longer be selling. I think they wil be concentrating on their new products. However, as a Droid X owner I do hope that we do get 3.0

7. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

i really wish people would open up their eyes. Its not like it takes hundreds of people at motorola to develope or port an OS to the phone. They are not going to stop developing for the X just because something new comes out. I would be surprised if the X doesn't get every major OS update over the next year.

8. landale

landale Well-Known Member

If Android 3.0 does indeed come out in Q4 like many are expecting I would find it hard to imagine the Droid X wouldn't get upgraded. If one is to believe the current pipeline of phones rumored for Verizon the Droid X is still expected to be the top of the line Motorola Android phone until at least November (this is when the so called Motorola A957 is supposed to come out with a 4" screen, 1.3ghz processor and be a world phone). It wouldn't be very smart for Motorola to not make sure their flagship phone stays up to date so I am going to be cautiously optimistic, although at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if the A957 comes with 3.0 in November but the Droid X doesn't get updated until December/January.

9. AaronRodgersFTW

AaronRodgersFTW Active Member

This is why I'm waiting for a dual core or at least a phone higher than the minimum requirements for 3.0. It's only a matter of months till it hits and I refuse to be hampered by running a phone that can barely run the latest os. The dual cores should be able to handle upgrades for a while. At least more than a freaking year.

10. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

By that time, you'll be wondering if your phone will have Android 5.0 or not. It's a never ending cycle and every phone will eventually have its support dropped.

11. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

12. dmiller2007

Idk. My source seemed sure. Maybe our sources can fight it out for a more conclusive date.

13. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I suspect otherwise... Gingerbread is expected to be out around xmas time this year. The DX is expected to go end-of-sale in March of next year. Given that Motorola invested the time to get Froyo running on the original droid (which has been out the better part of a year), I see no reason why to not expect the same of the DX.

The biggest difference between the two phones is that the original droid runs vanilla Android so, it's possible, that this this could be a factor...

14. racerxe24

racerxe24 Well-Known Member

Just being analytical here, but how long has Gingerbread been in the works? And what devices are they using to bake this OS? I would think that a phone comparable to Droid X would be one of those. Therefore I conclude that the Droid X would indeed at least be able to run Gingerbread fairly well. It is up Motorola/Verizon to get it baked onto the DX from there.... JM2C

15. vud911

vud911 Well-Known Member

Pretty much. That's why xda-developers are so cool.

16. The Faceless Rebel

The Faceless Rebel Well-Known Member

They need to break the bootloader encryption before we can get custom ROMs on the X.

17. HES

HES Active Member

We (former BB Storm2 owners) thought the same thing.

However I do not see this happening to the Droid X. But stay tuned.

18. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

As a current Eris and hopefully near-future X owner, I was rather happy when it was on 1.5 and would have been satisfield with 1.6 but was amazed Verizon and HTC pushed out 2.1 to my humble little unit before the end-of-life date arrived.

Who is to say that the X will not get the next round of major OS updates, especially if Gingerbread comes out months before the X's end-of-life date?

19. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

With android 3.0 the major os updates are supposed to slow down to one a year. Manufacturer UIs are gonna fall by the wayside. It will be easier to upgrade the phones. Features will be available in the market instead of included in the os.

20. xclr82xtc

xclr82xtc Well-Known Member

if 3.0 comes out by the end of the year..it will prolly be a ota..if it comes out after 8 months from now, it will prolly have to be custom

21. hahaha what

hahaha what Well-Known Member

i am his source and i can confirm this is the correct release date. furthermore i would not mind whoopin the other source dude's ass but only if he travels here

22. dmiller2007

My source sank down in shame. Apparently he isn't as certain as you

23. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

within the next few weeks we should see a minimum of 3 custom roms (although no custom kernels...yet anyway) the boatloader doesnt need to be cracked for that

although i am looking forward to a 2nd boot process ala the milestone to be put together so we can really put the x to the test

24. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

Listen...I talked to a guy looking at G1 screen protectors at BestBuy and he said the 18th..I would say case closed!

25. xclr82xtc

xclr82xtc Well-Known Member

bwah hahahaha