android 3.0 rooted?

Last Updated:

1. androidlover14

androidlover14 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i wanted to know if there was any production on an early release android 3.0 rom since us droid users are probably not getting it.

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

might be better asked in the rooted section, but I doubt it

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Might be better asked with a question mark. How come everyone feels the need to ask important questions on forums and then leave out the question mark so everyone else thinks that something amazing has happened?

4. androidlover14

it wasnt exactly a question. well it is but the way i formed it wasn't really questionish. sorry it bothered you lol

5. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Darn You!!! :(... :p
    I thought 3.0 was released and rooted that fast already!
    I knew it was too good to be true...:(
    I was thinking like what device has 3.0 already.

6. androidlover14

my bad bro

7. Thornfullessrose

It's ok. I'm not really upset. I was just kidding. I said I knew it was too good to be true.
    so i didn't really get excited. lol haha

8. androidlover14

but g-s-h-i-t tho, is there a developer trying to make a 3.0 rom?

9. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with people being bothered, it's all about people not understanding. It's about learning how to SAY WHAT YOU MEAN and communicate clearly.

Lack of literacy is a huge pet peeve of mine. If English is the only language you speak you should know how to speak, read and write correctly.

If English is your second language, I apologize. I took 4 years of French and 3 semesters of Russian, and it's HARD, lol. I also know people who have only spoken English for 10 years or less and are more capable than a lot of Americans I know.

10. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

i kinda agree, i read help topics all the time whose title says "need help fast" or something similar and sometimes the poster never bothers to return...i am probably guilty of it myself but when someone says they need help with no other info, well...............

11. kujayhawks77

kujayhawks77 Well-Known Member

Google has stated that 3.0 will require at least 512mb ram and a 1ghz processor. While overclocking can overcome the the 1ghz barrier I don't know that even with rooting the OS will be tricked into believing that there is 512mb installed.

12. Thornfullessrose

Yea everyone knows 2.2 is the droid's last os update.

13. androidlover14

i could have sworn that google said that the 512mb was recommended not necessary

14. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

man, from what I have seen from some of these fat brain devs.. I would not put it past them 1 bit to find some way around that IF that is a true "requirement". maybe with a swap file.

15. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

No doubt Pete or BlackdroidMod (or other developers) will tailor Gingerbread goodness to run on the Droid1.

As far as 512MB RAM goes, what's to say they won't be able to partition and use SD Card storage for half of that? Overclock to 1GHz, and we're in business! :D

Anyway, we can speculate all month but the proof will be in the Gingerbread...

16. shadowdude777

Yeah, I remember reading that there is no actual 1GHz and 512MB RAM requirement, and that was a rumor. Even if it isn't, it is very likely that it can be overcome either with a swap file, or editing the source code.

But I don't think Google would do that, it's not in their nature. They might not officially support something, but they won't officially go out of their way to make sure it's broken like some other company whose name is based on a fruit. They even said that Froyo is not officially supported on the G1, but that they were confident that Cyanogen would be able to port it over.

17. shadowdude777

No worries, just watch out for that from now on. I understand that "android 3.0 rooted" looks totally fine for you as a thread title, but when someone reads the thread list, it's going to sound to them like Gingerbread has already been leaked and rooted.

But to answer your question, no. Gingerbread first has to be announced for a device and leaked to the public, THEN devs can start working on rooting it. I would expect a leak around year's end, and a rooted ROM for our Droids shortly after. But damn... are we really going to be dropped entirely a year after the phone's release? Considering Google releases in approximately 6-month iterations, we'll need Gingerbread and then two more releases before early adopters get their NE2. I guess people will have to choose between the Droid running the new leaked Android snack (Ice cream, anyone?), or getting something new come Q4 2011.

18. kujayhawks77

kujayhawks77 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately in the new era of smartphones I think a year is about all we get :(. At least it was better than my wife's Eris which got about 6 months (thankfully rom developers have her on froyo at least.)

I think Gingerbread might be the best we see as the era of dual core and 4g/lte/hspa+ phones comes into play but who knows what the future may hold.

19. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

According to all the things I've read, Google is aiming to release Gingerbread sometime in Q4, but who really knows for sure. It has to be released before we can even think about having it on our Droids :)

20. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

it would be nice if you could upgrade the RAM....Like you can on a PC....

21. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

It just shows how spoiled people already are with Android. Complaining that after only a year, our precious phones are no longer going to be "supported". Have you ever owned a phone prior to the Droid? Used to be, when you bought a phone, you were stuck with the software that was on it until you replaced the phone itself.

With the Droid we have gotten more updates than pretty much any other phone on Verizon ever has. And the truth is, even if it doesn't get "Gingerbread", it's still going to be a great phone for a lot longer than a year with the current Froyo. I know it's more than I really need, and I couldn't even tell you what it's missing as far as my usage goes. It's a damn phone after all, just seems like a lot of people are expecting a complete laptop/pc replacement.

22. JTforPink

JTforPink Well-Known Member

I think there would be some debate. It would be smart of them to make it available so the lesser phones (D1, etc.) could get a hold of it if we wanted to jump through a couple hoops. Brand loyalty, that sort of thing (I know I'd be more inclined to stay with Motorola if they payed good attention to their customers). However, they'd lose some money up front by not forcing everyone who wants it now to upgrade.

23. Phateless

That's the direction things are going. I've heard on the news that PCs, gaming consoles, electronic readers, etc. are all losing market share to devices such as the iPad.

There are a whole host of things for which I rely heavily on my phone and as phones become more powerful I will use it even more.

24. shadowdude777

I've actually looked into replacing the 256MB Toshiba DDR RAM chip, but it looks like it's combined with the OMAP processor in one big IC. :(

Well, that's the direction that phones are going. I'm hoping that one day in the near future, when I need to use a "computer", I'll go to a setup that has a monitor, keyboard, and a mouse or digitizer, along with a standard connector. I'd plug my phone into that standard connector and it would allow me to work on a larger, computer-sized scale using my phone. Who wouldn't love to have a phone powerful enough to do pretty much everything we do with computers today besides gaming and intensive computation? Better yet, you could take your computer with you to any location and as long as there's a desktop setup like the one I described, your settings, programs, etc would still be intact and you could continue your work on the go.

As much as I love my computer (I'm an avid PC gamer), I would also love to replace it with my phone for everyday tasks and save it for the fun stuff if phones were powerful enough and the connectors were around to scale it up to computer-sized user input (full-sized keyboard and monitor, etc).

25. Phateless

No shit?? I wonder if that's possible on the mt3g...

Dude, you are SO right on! We're already halfway there. What you just described is a docking station. Lots of people already do this with their laptops. These days more and more devices are overlapping to greater degrees. How many of us no longer bother with digital cameras because our phones take great shots? How many of us don't use an mp3 player because we have Pandora?

How much do you want to bet that one of these companies is already working on a setup like this for a phone? Motorola already has that mobile projector, which is just crazy. I would LOVE to see a universal docking station for cell-phones.