• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root android 3.0 rooted?

That's wild... do you have a pic of it in action?

I don't have any pics, but google "freedom pro bluetooth keyboard" and you can see it. I think I paid $ 79 for it online. I have used it at conferences for taking notes, and it works great. Its funny to see people pulling out their laptops and netbooks, then see their faces when I unfold the keyboard, pull out the phone stand from it, and take my phone off my holster and set it up by the keyboard!

I use documents to go full version, so its easier to do things with the documents, but with the google doc apps now, you don't really need that.
Printershare gets the printing done if needed, so my only complaint is lack of a spell check (my spelling sucks! )

If one of the phone makers would get their heads out of their butts, they would put in a second, easier to remove micro sd card, then it would be simple to slip out your card, put it in to a thumb drive adapter, and put your files somewhere else if you want.

On the droid x- there is now an app that will let you use the hdmi with any app on the phone. its not perfect, but would let you do what you needed to when coupled with a keyboard and external screen!

Upvote 0
Considering the G1 is on Froyo, there shouldn't be much worry that we won't get Gingerbread. Our root community is the finest out there, they'll find a way to get everything we want. Just make sure to support your devs to ensure they'll have the time and ability to do so.

+1. My mt3g shouldn't even be running Eclair, yet FroYo is available if I want it. I only ran CM for about two weeks then went back to stock, but I still donated because what he's doing is so cool.

Upvote 0
I've actually looked into replacing the 256MB Toshiba DDR RAM chip, but it looks like it's combined with the OMAP processor in one big IC. :(

Well, that's the direction that phones are going. I'm hoping that one day in the near future, when I need to use a "computer", I'll go to a setup that has a monitor, keyboard, and a mouse or digitizer, along with a standard connector. I'd plug my phone into that standard connector and it would allow me to work on a larger, computer-sized scale using my phone. Who wouldn't love to have a phone powerful enough to do pretty much everything we do with computers today besides gaming and intensive computation? Better yet, you could take your computer with you to any location and as long as there's a desktop setup like the one I described, your settings, programs, etc would still be intact and you could continue your work on the go.

As much as I love my computer (I'm an avid PC gamer), I would also love to replace it with my phone for everyday tasks and save it for the fun stuff if phones were powerful enough and the connectors were around to scale it up to computer-sized user input (full-sized keyboard and monitor, etc).

I think it's more likely that computers will stay just as relevant (at least in the near future), and we will move towards having basically all of our data in the cloud. Meaning you could get on your computer and do something, and then go over to your phone and what you just did would be updated on your phone and accessible. This would be a lot more convenient (wouldn't even have to plug your phone into the setup, plus you could use both at the same time seamlessly. You could be on your computer accessing your information that is available from the cloud, and even if your phone got a call you could pick it up without any problems. Someday, computers would probably become less relevant for many average consumers. As technology advances, average consumers would use their phones more for tasks such as doing a quick google search, checking stocks/bank balance, ordering things, going on facebook, etc. Many who are more technologically savvy have been using their phones for tasks like this for quite some time, but there still is a large segment of the population who has no idea what a phone can do. I'm surprised how many people get amazed when they realize I can do a simple task like going on FB on my phone (IMO companies don't advertise these features enough, and assume everybody knows this - not true). But I digress. Maybe some day keyboards won't even be necessary. Once voice comprehension software is mastered. But I digress again. But I think it will be quite some time before we truly start to get rid of personal computers in the household. :)

Upvote 0
Considering the G1 is on Froyo, there shouldn't be much worry that we won't get Gingerbread. Our root community is the finest out there, they'll find a way to get everything we want. Just make sure to support your devs to ensure they'll have the time and ability to do so.

This man speaks the truth. The first dev to release a stable working rom of Gingerbread for the Droid can expect at least a $10 donation to come their way from me (this may not seem like a lot but bills always have to come first, if I'm able to donate more I will). I hope others show their appreciation for the devs too - sometimes we forget how much work these guys put in. Even if you can't afford to donate a lot, even a $5 donation would help the devs.

EDIT: Eek, sorry but I didn't mean to double post like that. I guess I probably should have edited this into my previous post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones