Android 4.0 soft keyboard

1. cnrasmussen

cnrasmussen New Member

I've just upgraded from a 2.1 to a 4.0 mobil, but a feature about the default soft keyboard are driving me nuts..

On 2.1 anytime while typing a word, if you hit the shift button, the word will be changed to start with a capital letter. On 4.0 instead, hitting shift will make the next letter in the word a capital letter.

Are there no easy way to convert a word to start with a capital letter instead of a small letter in 4.0?

Advertisement
  2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Welcome to the forums crasmussen. The shift key? There is no shift key. What device are you using that has a shift key? Nevermind I found it. You must be using a custom ROM for your upgrade because the arrow pointing up or Shift key works fine on my S2 with the official 4.1 t-mobile ROM on boh swype and the Samsung keyboards.

I wonder which idiot at Google decided that an arrow pointing up should represent the Shift key. I always thought of the particular key as caps lock but I guess because it serves both functions they went with Shift key.

Jeez I'm getting cranky as the night wears on.
  3. cnrasmussen

cnrasmussen New Member

THX :)

Using a Xperia Mini. With shift key I mean the key with an arrow point up
  4. dontpanicbobby

Copy that cnrasmussen. Have you tried restarting your device? Sometimes a simple restart or full power off then back on will fix a problem. And it is the Shift Key cause Google says so.
  5. cnrasmussen

cnrasmussen New Member

Its is not an error, They just changed the way the keyboard worked from version 2.3 and onward. But are there no way to change the starting letter of a word from small to capital other than deleting it and writing it again in 4.0?
  6. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Well-Known Member

The button with an arrow going up is the shift key for a reason. Because it "shifts" the letter to "upper" case. Makes sense when you think about it. Also, a lot of keyboards have an up facing arrow on the shift key. So if not for the logic, but for the familiarity.
    dontpanicbobby likes this.
  7. dontpanicbobby

IT does make sense. Like I said. I'm cranky, not thinking straight. Things have been more than a little hectic in my part of the world this week. I think I'll just sit back, play a few forum games and let some other folks get to helping our new members. Maybe after Obama gets here today and leaves I can get back to helping out but right now I'm on pins and needles so to speak.