• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 4.1.2 email issues

Steps forward...then back....

Installed K-9. Very user Friendly.....walks you right thru setting up email acct.

Good News, so far, when I delete a message from the Netzero Server.....the message remains in my Smartphone.

Bad news....I can Manually get my Inbox Messages but as K-9 calls it, K-9 will not fetch new messages even though I have it set to check every 5 Minutes, and, I see it counting down until the next fetch...and see it start the fetch countdown again...but it does not bring in new message. If I tap the check for messages the inbox email comes in. I know the message was available when the auto fetch ran.....but to be sure I let the automatic Fetch run 2 cycles while at the same time made sure the New message wasn't removed from the server by any other device I have with the Netzero acct created.

I have checked and re-checked all settings, the Port numbers are correct....and by the way I can SEND from K-9 fine. Si=o I can Manually get my new messages, they so far will remain in my K-9 Inbox after being removed from the Netzero Server....K-9 will just not Fetch new messages automatically....is that nuts?

Upvote 0
If I tap the check for messages the inbox email comes in. I know the message was available when the auto fetch ran.....but to be sure I let the automatic Fetch run 2 cycles while at the same time made sure the New message wasn't removed from the server by any other device I have with the Netzero acct created.

I have checked and re-checked all settings, the Port numbers are correct....and by the way I can SEND from K-9 fine. Si=o I can Manually get my new messages, they so far will remain in my K-9 Inbox after being removed from the Netzero Server....K-9 will just not Fetch new messages automatically....is that nuts?

The fact that you can get your mail by tapping the "get 25 more" forcing it to poll the account means that it's set up correctly as far as the server is concerned. If you open K-9 and open the inbox for your NetZero account and then choose menu>settings>fetching mail what do you have "poll folders" set to?

You might check under general network settings that background sync is set to "always".

I have two IMAP and one POP3 account and the IMAP accounts push new messages and the POP3 polls every 30 minutes. It all works fine.

Upvote 0
Uninstalled\Re-installed and now K-9 Retrieves mail automatically....

But my problem is I am wanting an email client liken to Microsoft Outlook. I want to use one client to retrieve my mail from 3 different emails and also be able to move or create a Folder where I can move InBox messages to this folder to save...and keep my Inbox messages from getting lengthy. Ihave not found away, and it may not be possible to move an InBox message in K-9 to another Folder. What we want and what we get are 2 different things.....but you can't blame a Guy from wanting.....

Upvote 0
NO; just move messages from K-9's Inbox to another Folder in K-9.

K-9 default Folders do not include a folder named SAVE....so I am not sure a New Folder could be created in K-9....if it can, how is it done?

If a New Folder cannot be created, how do you Move an email from K-9's Inbox to another Folder in K-9?

I just want to save some emails in K-9 but not keep them in the InBox to keep the InBox from getting too lengthy...and the emails I want to save....will all be in one Folder easier to access.

Upvote 0
My bad, it seems like K-9's ability to create and move between folders only works on IMAP accounts. I've been reading through some of the development threads and it seems this has been on the list of issues for POP3 users. Some people are suggesting using the Droidmail client which does have the ability to create folders for POP3 accounts and move messages into them. I have never used it myself, so I can't recommend one way or the other. It might be worth looking into. Be advised that there is a paid version for $18 and a free (ad support) version.

Upvote 0
...allowing you an independent email client that can be setup to handle POP3 mail plus give the user the ability to create new Folders....move emails between Folders...setup a Saved Folder? Being a New Smartphone\Android user, I don't want to get myself into trouble with something I know nothing about

Hi TeleRisk,

Having read through your various posts and if I understand what you want, I think gmail can provide it all for you.

Gmail will fetch pop mail from up to 5 accounts and using gmail's Label facility, which is effectively creating virtual folders, you can have a separate label for each of your pop accounts.

To set up the facility you need to access your gmail account with a PC/Laptop via web browser and go into Settings-Accounts & Imports-Check mail from other accounts-Add a POP3 mail account you own. There are a number of options eg Leave a copy of mail on home server, allow gmail to create the label etc.

You can create your own labels later or edit them at any time.

Once set up, your new labels will show in the android gmail app as well as in browser access.

When an email arrives it will have two labels - Inbox and the newly created label, when you open it you have an option to 'Change labels' just untick the Inbox label and the email will disappear from the inbox and appear only under the created label (and in 'All mail').

You can also reply to the email from the gmail app.

More here on gmail labels
More here on 'Fetching POP3'

If you want to save a copy on your device you can do this by adding your gmail account to your stock mail app which also syncs to the created labels. It actually downloads the email and you can view it and prepare a reply offline. (This certainly works with my HTC One stock mail app so hopefully it will do with your stock mail app.)

Hope this helps.

:)

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones