1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Android 4.1 - How Do I Change Default App in App Picker?

1. Michael2000

Michael2000 Member

I've looked everywhere for this. When Android has two apps that do the same basic thing, it puts up an App picker, and you can select "Always" or "Just Once". Perhaps you have ATT Navigator and Google Navigator available for navigation. Another example is "Internet" and "Popup Window". After selecting "Always", let's say you change your mind later, and want to change the default app to the other one. How do change the default app? I can't find it in the settings anywhere.

Michael

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

if you go into your phone's settings then go to the default app and select clear default. then the next time you do the action you can select the other one instead.
  3. Michael2000

Michael2000 Member

Thanks for the help ocnbrze.

For the newbies like me out there, here is what I did:

From the home screen,

Apps
    Settings
    Application Manager
    Scroll to right to get to "All"

Here's the dilemma, I set the default on my AT&T Note 2 to "Navigation". That's what says on the home screen. However, I can't find "Navigation" or even "Google Navigation" in the Application Manager. Any idea what this is called?

Michael
  4. ocnbrze

sorry i do not have this phone, but which one comes with the phone? att navigator? or google's navigation? i think if you want to disable google's navigation you need to find the maps app and clear defaults. that should take care of that.

so is this when try to get infromation or directions from the internet? or are you trying to get it so that when you select navigation a different app opens up?
  5. Michael2000

Michael2000 Member

With your assistance, I did find it up the app called "Maps". After opening the settings for Maps, I hit the Clear Default button, and it is now back to asking me whether or not to use AT&T Navigator or Google Navigation.

Thank you very much for your help!

Michael
    ocnbrze likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

ok nice glad that worked for you.
  7. colobuckeye

colobuckeye Active Member

I had the same problem, thanks!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. ocnbrze