Android 4.4.3? (ITS OUT!! 6/2)General

1. steveu694

steveu694 Well-Known Member

Heard rumors of this due to people still having battery drain issues due to the camera. I have no issues myself, and Google has failed to actually announce this update.

What do you guys think? Who's having issues still on 4.4.2?

Advertisement
    :
  2. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

Given that google has officially acknowledged the bug, and has promised a fix (at least for the Nexus series) in the near future, I think we can safely say that it is not just a rumor.
    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=60058#c475

I experienced the bug a few times, but I was able to fix it by disabling Skype's access to the camera using app ops (I'm rooted).
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The "near future" could very well be the next android version release at google I/O. We don't know the version number or the time frame.

All we know at this point is they're going to address it :dontknow:
  4. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

Yeah, they haven't been clear as to when the update will hit. Thankfully they know and are committed to fixing the issue though.
  5. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I have it on good authority that our next version of Android will be a major update and it should be here before I/O.
  6. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

Do you have a public link to information or is this something you can't share any more info about?
  7. Rxpert83

Looks like were starting to get some leaks rolling out:
    First Android 4.4.3 Details Come To Light - Here Is What You Should Expect To See Fixed

8. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

Two of my fellow developers got 4.4.3 (final dev version) today.

Rumor suggests the consumer version will begin to be pushed out around April 10th.

Note: this is completely unofficial :)
    jj14x likes this.
  9. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Well-Known Member

I am new to Android and to smart phones in general, so I apologise in advance if my question appears silly.

When 4.4.3 comes out, will my phone (Nexus 5) automatically upgrade, or will I receive some sort of notification inviting me to install it and giving me the option of not doing so?

Call me paranoid, but I have experienced Microsoft 'upgrading' Windows from XP to Vista, then W7 to W8, both of which in my opinion were definite steps backward! I'm sure Android 4.4.3 is likely to be an improvement, but I'd prefer to read users' comments first before taking the step.
  10. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

Soon as 4.4.3 is out I'll be all over it, there's a couple of things I'd like fixing (Wifi auto connect fix although that's only on my N10 & the camera bug on my N5)

You won't be forced to download it. (I never had issues with Vista and W8 once I'd tailored them to my needs :D )
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  11. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

You'll receive a notification - Software update available (or similar).
    You can usually:

Download and install

Download and install later

Ignore
    JBentleyR and Rxpert83 like this.
  12. Rxpert83

4.4.3 should be a safe one to go ahead and install, and its just bug fixes and not introducing any new functionality.

Completely understand wanting to wait for feedback

Note that Google does the same thing. The first date the update gets released, it goes out to a very few number of people and they monitor their support lines closely. If all goes well, it gradually rolls out to more and more people over the course of 1-2 weeks.
    JBentleyR likes this.
  13. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

so... umm... you work for El Goog?
  14. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Well-Known Member

I must say that I think that's an excellent way to go about things.

Microsoft take note!
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  15. Rxpert83

Better explained by google engineer Dan Morrill:
  16. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

I had read about something that Sprint was trying...
    Ask And You Shall Receive: Sprint's HTC One KitKat Update Is Live For Manual Requests, Wide Rollout Starts 2-11

Instead of the usual way of sending update at random to some devices in waves, they would make the download available to the users who goes in to look for updates (mashing the check for update button). A majority of customers don't care about (or aren't aware of) the update anyway, so why not send the update out to the folks who are eagerly waiting for it?

The update still does get pushed out in waves to everyone, but the ones who "check for update" get it right away.

I love that idea! (I don't think Sprint got it working this way for everyone, but the concept was good). Wish El Goog would do the same.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  17. Rxpert83

I'd imagine most people running a nexus device would care about getting the update, so I'm not sure how helpful that method would be for us ;). Chances are a developer will post the OTA update file before your device is selected for the update process anyway, so those who still want it as soon as possible can still get it that way.

For regular phones like the S5 or the ONE that is a good idea to let those who want it most get it fastest. I'm suprised more updates don't roll out in that manner.
  18. timbck2

timbck2 Active Member

I'm happy to see this - the fixes in bold are for issues I have had, ranging from minorly annoying to majorly frustrating!
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  19. Rxpert83

I'm curious about the FCC compliance fix
  20. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

yep - xda usually has the OTA zip file available the same day
  21. chukka63

chukka63 Well-Known Member

I use to look forward to early updates but don't anymore.I'm happy for others to find the next generation teething problems.
  22. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

My NDA prevents... :D
    jj14x likes this.
  23. akmsr

akmsr Well-Known Member

there is a rumor floating around in a sprint forum that they may get spark triband update on monday the 14th along with some bug fixes. email from someone from dan@sprint. so regular nexus 5 users are hoping that it is 4.4.3 and the alleged FCC compliance fix is the spark.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  24. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

Rxpert83 likes this.
  25. chukka63

chukka63 Well-Known Member

What's spark ?