• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 4.4.3? (ITS OUT!! 6/2)

Does seem curious that T-Mobile announces it before Google. Whatever that case, I'll just wait for DU to get it. Might take my Nexus 7 (2012) back to stock if it does seem to be rolling out for that at some point.

I don't recall Google ever reporting "minor" updates. It seems like typically the first devices start getting the updates and that is what starts the reporting, that or the factory images being posted.

Upvote 0
This is just a bug patch to prior kitkat versions, so no new codename.

I've been checking twitter and G+, no mentions of users getting it.

I still can't believe all of the "tech" sites getting the facts wrong: T-Mobile is not sending out the update, and its not T-mobile devices getting it :banghead:

Upvote 0
A little off topic, but queue the conspiracy theories. The LTE Nexus 7 is the only modern model without a 4.4.3 factory image, most likely due to Verizon. :mad:

I remember the days of my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sprint... and seeing delayed updates, and delayed factory images (if any).... ugh!

I will switch from Sprint in a heartbeat if the next Nexus (or Silver) is not available on Sprint. To he!! with unlimited (dialup) data, and discounted pricing. :D

Upvote 0
I remember the days of my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sprint... and seeing delayed updates, and delayed factory images (if any).... ugh!

I will switch from Sprint in a heartbeat if the next Nexus (or Silver) is not available on Sprint. To he!! with unlimited (dialup) data, and discounted pricing. :D
I was in the same boat with the Gnex on Verizon. I left that ship and won't ever look back. I told them where to shove their unlimited data with pleasure.

What about those with LTE nexus 7's around the world?
I know, right? I use mine on T-Mobile's free 200MB of data plan so we're all getting screwed.

Upvote 0
Anyone think that part of the reason Google released today was because of the Apple Developer's Conference? Seems like a good way to steal some of the spotlight.

Highly doubt it. This is a bug fix, not a new OS version. And it only really applies to the Nexus devices currently.. So it's kind of like Ford announcing a new brake pad for the Focus while Chevy is getting ready to unveil the new Camaro.

Upvote 0
Anyone think that part of the reason Google released today was because of the Apple Developer's Conference? Seems like a good way to steal some of the spotlight.

They seem to always do something small for whatever announcement apple has.

I doubt that delayed it for 2 months since sprint said it was rolling out, but if it was going to come out this week or last anyway they might as well time it

Upvote 0
Verdict? I'm not going to install it (I'm too in love with DU) but I want to know how keen I need to be for Josh to make a 4.4.3 build :)
I'll have to let you know later, its got a long way to go before all the app updates stop downloading and I get things setup again

First thing I noticed is my calls dont work :banghead:

Call volume that is. It has to be on speakerphone for me to hear the other party

Upvote 0
Highly doubt it. This is a bug fix, not a new OS version. And it only really applies to the Nexus devices currently.. So it's kind of like Ford announcing a new brake pad for the Focus while Chevy is getting ready to unveil the new Camaro.

I didn't mean to suggest they timed everything to release it today. More like what Rxpert suggested, that after it slipped they decided today was a good day to release it.

And while it may not be a major upgrade, it does keep "Android" in the news, and they could hope the news might also mention that 4.5 or 5.0 is expected to be announced at the end of the month.

It also helps that a couple of the "big announcements" by Apple is that they are finally getting widgets and the ability to share data between apps; things Android has had for for a while.

Edit: And how did I forget that iOS is finally getting the agility to use 3rd party keyboards and will be adding Swype!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones