Android 5 Jelly Bean to get native Atrix like lapdock switching

1. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

And in the "let the rumors fly" department...

unwiredview.com has an article stating that Android 5 JellyBean will get native Atrix like lapdock switching between mobile and desktop modes.

With Motorola now part of Google and Motorola conceiving the Lapdock idea, this rumored switching between mobile and desktop modes as well as having native code within Android 5 for Atrix like docking support a standard feature seems like (a) next logical step.

This may (in my opinion) help manufacturers create more Asus Transformer and Motorola Lapdock designs into one where Android can indeed give Windows functionality.

Discuss..

TS

Advertisement
    EarlyMon and KOLIO like this.
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Looks promising and I hope they're successful in making that happen. The thought of having an all-in-one accessory to my phone that will allow me to have a tablet and lapdock. Just feeds in to my need to have electronics that make my life easier.

Watching this ASUS Padphone promo, really makes me hope this becomes a standard in the mobile industry:

ASUS Padphone Promo - YouTube

I can totally imagine it. Go to work, dock the phone in the tablet, go to a meeting. Come back to my desk after the meeting, dock the tablet into the lapdock integrator. Take the phone out of the tablet, put the tablet and lapdock in my briefcase, get on the road. Go to outside business meeting, pull the tablet out, dock the phone in the tablet, show some charts to clients. After the outside meeting is done, pull the lapdock out, dock the tablet, email my boss the developments of the meeting, prior to getting back on the road.

And that's not even getting into the personal use that would be so great. What I have now is great and works for me, but I'd love it even more to be able to sell my tablet and just have an all-in-one mobile accessory that'll give me the best of all the worlds and also not worry about any integration functionality issues.
    KOLIO and EarlyMon like this.
  3. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

I've tweeted and posted this numerous times,

its been done before. A long time ago..
    what's that saying... imitation is the....

anyway see this.

Always Innovating.

but at least Google is finally getting into the act and into its code. :D.

TS out
    KOLIO and drexappeal like this.
  4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

A coworker and I were discussing a similar rumor. But instead of being Android in 'desktop mode' it'd be full-fledged Ubuntu that could access/interact with the Android device. So contacts, notes, etc would be synced, but it would be a desktop build of Ubuntu with all the bells and whistles that includes.

Interesting stuff, to say the least.
  5. drexappeal

Oh man! That's awesome. Although, I wonder how different manufacturers create their own versions, without infringing on any patents?
  6. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

I always thought the thought of a tablet dock for the Galaxy Nexus was a cool thought. Kind of like the padphone, but Nexus branded.
  7. drexappeal

With this rumor, just imagine ALL android phones with 5.0 having multiple options available to them, including the possibility of aftermarket companies creating that type of accessory. My thought is, if it's built into the OS, why wouldn't electronics manufacturers try to make their own version for different Android 5.0 phones? It'd be a lot of testing, but if they were successful and able to sell for less than the Manufacturer specific accesory?...I'm sure return would be pretty darn good.

And just imagine how Apple would look having separate items for everything (e.g. itouch, ipod, ipad, iphone, etc, etc...). Aftermarket accessory makers could focus on making one accessory to integrate with different Android 5.0 phones and call it a day! That's beautiful progression.

Just to bring in an aftermarket company that I think could pull off creating that type of accessory...Logitech. I think Logitech has enough tech experience to be able to work with the different manufacturers to create tablet/lapdock accessories for future 5.0 Android phones. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but can you imagine if Logitech got into the game? I'd be able to come home, plug my phone into the tablet, use it similar to how the Logitech harmony One remote works, plug in the lapdock portion of the accessory, while still being able to control the TV and other home video stuff, then switch to internet browsing and have the keyboard for quick typing...

Okay, time to calm down a 'bit, but I'm sure many of you can see the bigger picture on this.
  8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

All I'd want is a tablet dock that carries an extended battery pack of 4000mah or more.