1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Android and astronomy stargazing etc....

Last Updated:

1. wonkytonky

wonkytonky New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I am new today and thanks to whoever for this forum...
    i am a bit frustrated that there are not more apps (yet??? ) for use with android phones... "better than google sky (which is good but..)"
    does anyone have inside information on whats round the corner...only iphone (could not justify monthly tarrif to get) has some stonking astronomy apps ...
    i emailed a developer to see if in future they will release same program on android ..but i have my doubts...
    bit disappointed although galaxy s is a incredible phone...and there must be a lot of potential...
    anyone know of other android astronomy starmap type things? thanks

Advertisement
  2. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

what types of apps can there be???
    what else do you want for star gazing?

3. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Please tell me you didn't think it was going to be some type of stargazers wet dream because it's called a "galaxy" phone...

4. oldman

oldman Member

Check out WhereIsIt at the Android Market - great app!:)

5. HRJ

HRJ New Member

If you have a telescope, you might be interested in SkEye an app that I have developed. Apart from hand-held mode, it helps you to guide your telescope to an object of interest.

6. txrxio

txrxio Well-Known Member

On a similar note, has anyone successfully attached their phone to a telescope eyepiece to use it as a big screen? My kids are too young to use the eyepiece properly but they love using the telescope

7. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

That's an awesome idea, hopefully a developer will come up with something to accomplish it!

What I'd like is an app similar to Deluxe Moon that did the same thing for the Sun, sunrise, sunset, seasonal position, etc. Plus analmanac program that gives you the equinox and solstice dates and times per year to insert into my calendar, the way I had my Palm set up. Maybe someday....

Oh, just noticed, there's a free Messier Object app on the market now, looks interesting!

HRJ, your SkEYE app looks great, too bad I no longer have a telescope to play with!

And there's always the Astronomy Picture of the Day from Sam Oakley, I love that app.