• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android and PS3 Synergy

PHPAdam

Lurker
May 9, 2010
To start, both PS3 and Android support Bluetooth, WiFi and DLNA Media Server functionality.

The PS3 can receave Pictures and Videos from Android with MediaServer App.

Thats about it, we should be looking at other ways to control our MediaCenter / PS3 with the Android platform.

Such as
- Headset, Use speakerphone for in game talk and press button to activate speech.
- Wireless Keypad, Use androids keyboard to quickly enter text via the PS3.
- Blu-ray Remote, act as a dvd/blueray movies.
- Controller, Basic PS3 control such as Turn on/off PS3.
- DNLA, serve files too and serve files from the ps3 and android.
- USB WebCam

Ive only got my android under a week ago, so looking at if this is possible at all with the device. What I have read on the internet is that the PS3 works with standard bluetooth and the peripheral devices use standard protocols.

It'd be therefore a matter of monitoring bluetooth commands from the on the market peripherals, and designing an interface to issue those commands on the android.

I'm all with you with that wish-list but found Mediaserver app to not be that useful.

Why? Because it seemed to remove the file structure for pictures. What's the use of something to view pictures if it loads ALL my album covers along with the camera shots and downloads of the SD in one big list?

I admit I've only tried the trial version, but this is a pretty big stumbling block considering the Twonky app does it without any problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones