• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android anti-theft tips?

leopheard

Lurker
Oct 18, 2011
Hi all,

I am thinking about how to get my phone back if it's ever lost/stolen (I work in an environment where this is an ever present issue), but I should point out I'm not a thief!

I know there's apps like Prey or Avast etc. and I've set Tasker to send any new SIM details to my email, take photos of anyone when the PIN code is entered incorrectly, etc.

My thoughts are, what if a thief simply wipes the phone or Android tablet etc? I know this is unlikely as most thieves won't have the first clue how to do this and won't want to spend time with an item in their possession for fear of being caught with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi all,

I am thinking about how to get my phone back if it's ever lost/stolen (I work in an environment where this is an ever present issue), but I should point out I'm not a thief!

I know there's apps like Prey or Avast etc. and I've set Tasker to send any new SIM details to my email, take photos of anyone when the PIN code is entered incorrectly, etc.

My thoughts are, what if a thief simply wipes the phone or Android tablet etc? I know this is unlikely as most thieves won't have the first clue how to do this and won't want to spend time with an item in their possession for fear of being caught with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Any pro thief worth his salt will immediately remove the SIMcard and pull the battery, so that no signal from you can reach the phone. So that phone is effectively a goner, as far as you're concerned.
The only thing you can still do is ask your telco/provider to brick it remotely, making it utterly useless to the thief. Your telco/provider can do that if you record your device's IMEI number somewhere (NOT on your device!), which is unique to your phone. With the IMEI number your telco/provider can brick the phone remotely whether there is a SIMcard in it or not.

You can find your phone's IMEI number by inputting *#06# on the dialer.

If your phone is stolen by a non-pro you have a small chance of recovering it with tracker software like Lookout, Avast, Cerberus, or, to be used AFTER the phone was stolen: free 'Plan B'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones