• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android app for Iphone folder function

the13bats

Apr 3, 2013
I am new to android, wife upgraded and I got her skyrocket, I was on an iphone, knew it very well and had it all personalized.

So I see a world of apps out there for Android and like with my iphone I started installing some, perhaps I got in a hurry to get the personalized set up of my phone over with,

It has go launcher and the related iphone theme and another called "app folder" by ayelectronics that was suppose to give iphone like folders.

So my problem is ( wife says I installed too much stuff ) is I want the apps and folders to work like iphone, hold down it starts to shake the things on the screen and then you just drag it to the folder you desire it in, if you had an iphone you know what I am talking about.

The irony is last night when I had my wife helping me place things into folders because she knows the function of Android we saw things shaking like on an iphone,
Later when we tried again nothing will shake and you cant just hold and drag an app to the folder you desire,

The only other thing I can think is a friend did some root thing to it.

Did I get confusing?
My real question is what app allows apps to be placed in the folders in the same way iphone does and why did mine have it and now doesn't?

Many thanks,
Cheers,
P.

What version of Android do you have?

I have no idea what your friend did, but it is standard for Android that you can hold an icon and it can then be moved on top of another to create a folder or swiped up to remove the shortcut. Or if there is already a folder, you drag additional shortcuts to it. No need for any special software for this.

Upvote 0
The phone is att android skyrocket 2

My tech friend said he did the root with something called doomlord and swears it would have no bearing on this issue.

D'oh Grrrr...ahem, yikes!

I have no idea how much is me not knowing Android and how much is the silly phone but now it will allow me to hold and drag an icon just like you guys are saying it should, but when I was trying it before it wouldnt drag...

However, last night I know we both saw the app icons shaking like on an iphone which they do not do now, not something that I must have but more something that I would like to know why I had it and now do not.

I have an unrelated question, after I swipe off the lock screen the next screen has 4 icons at the bottom can those be changed not what they are/do but rather how they look, they are very bright and colorful and I'm not...lol

Many thanks!
Cheers,
P.

Upvote 0
The phone is att android skyrocket 2

My tech friend said he did the root with something called doomlord and swears it would have no bearing on this issue.

I recommend you don't root your phone. You seem to be rather new to Android, so I suggest you just leave the phone unrooted.

I have no idea how much is me not knowing Android and how much is the silly phone but now it will allow me to hold and drag an icon just like you guys are saying it should, but when I was trying it before it wouldnt drag...

Since you are coming from an iPhone, you need to keep in mind that there are differences between your Skyrocket and the iPhone. There are some things that are similar, but some that are different. It will take some time for you to discover and get used to the differences.

However, last night I know we both saw the app icons shaking like on an iphone which they do not do now, not something that I must have but more something that I would like to know why I had it and now do not.

It may be related to Go Launcher. On Android phones, you can replace the standard home screen functionality with alternate launchers. You mentioned your phone has Go Launcher with an iPhone theme. Perhaps, someone who is more familiar with Go Launcher with the iPhone theme can better answer this question.

I have an unrelated question, after I swipe off the lock screen the next screen has 4 icons at the bottom can those be changed not what they are/do but rather how they look, they are very bright and colorful and I'm not...lol

Icons for apps and functions are fixed as far as I know. For instance, you cannot normally change the icon for Angry Bird to something else. Not sure if the Launcher allows you to alter icons.

Reactions: RichSz
Upvote 0
I understand what you mean by the shaking. On an iPhone when you do a long tap, the UI goes into an edit mode that allows you to move objects around the home screen.

On Android, there is no such edit mode for the home screens. If you want to move objects around, just long tap on an object and drag it to where ever you want to move it.

I know as both wife and me saw it they were shaking last night,
it might have been for show but they were, perhaps it was the go lancher iphone theme or the other iphone folders app I have, it did it them but not now,

The phone has already been "rooted" never fear my iphone was all cracked, hacked, jailbroken and snakebit...I had no problems with it,

Oddly I dont dig mac comps and only switched to win 7 from xp last week...nope, I dont like learning new systems...yawn.

But from what I see so far the android kicks iphones butt....

Upvote 0
You can put any app on your folders on Android just like iPhone. The difference is, on iphone when you drag 2 icons, a folder will automatically be created. In android, you have to create a folder. Just long press and drag. that's it :)

Not true. This is a launcher dependent feature. On my Galaxy S with Holo launcher, I can create a folder by dragging an icon on top of another just like an iPhone.

Upvote 0
Thanks all!
I did mention which phone I have, must have missed that, skyrocket 2.
You would know better than me if go lancher has "wiggle" or not BUT wife and I both saw the icons wiggle last night,
I do/did have the ayelectronics "app folder" which was suppose to copy iphone folders, could that have had the wiggle?

Go Launcher does not do a "wiggle" in edit mode on the homescreens. I've not used it recently but I think it does that INSIDE THE APP DRAWER. Anyway, on Android, just long press on an icon and when the device vibrates, start dragging.

You can put any app on your folders on Android just like iPhone. The difference is, on iphone when you drag 2 icons, a folder will automatically be created. In android, you have to create a folder. Just long press and drag. that's it :)

Not true. This is a launcher dependent feature. On my Galaxy S with Holo launcher, I can create a folder by dragging an icon on top of another just like an iPhone.

Same for me. But I think it is only on ICS or higher. Or even only on JB. Which is why knowing what version of Android someone is talking about helps.

Upvote 0

You can create folders in Android by dragging an icon on top of another. It is dependent on the Android version, phone, manufacturer skin or launcher. For instance, I use Nova Prime Launcher. When dragging icons on top of another, if I drag it slightly towards the top of the icon, it will switch positions. If I drag it slightly towards the bottom of the icon, it will create a new folder with both icons in it. Likewise, if I drag an icon on to a folder slightly towards the top of the folder icon, it will switch positions. If I drag it slightly towards the bottom of the folder icon, it will place it into the folder.

Upvote 0
Same for me. But I think it is only on ICS or higher. Or even only on JB. Which is why knowing what version of Android someone is talking about helps.

ICS is where this feature was built into the default android launcher, but custom launchers have had folder abilities for a while and it just matters which one you use. Different ones will execute this functionality differently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones