Android app to conncect to Apple iMessage

Last Updated: 2013-04-02 18:35:59
  1. stuckinthemud

stuckinthemud New Member

Is there an Android app that will connect to and use the Apple iMessage service?

I want to communicate with some friends who only use iMessage. For technical reasons (mainly whilst abroad) they can't use cross-platform alternatives such as WhatsApp so looking for a way that I can directly access the Apple system.

Jim

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

You could take a look at Viber. I'm not positive as I am unfamiliar with IMessaging or Viber, I just seem to remember seeing a thread about that somewhere here.
  3. stuckinthemud

stuckinthemud New Member

Thanks, but looks like it uses its own server.

I'm looking for a an app that will connected directly to the Apple iMessage server.

We can't use WatsApp at the moment as Apple haven't authorised the phone app for the iPad yet and there isn't an iPad version, and I'm looking for ways of communicating with someone who is travelling abroad and has an iPad, but not using an iPhone (his phone is company supplied, they have locked-down Gooseberries :mad:).
  4. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

Handcent keeps talking about their service for free "text messaging" working directly with Apple devices. They make it sound like it integrates with iMessage, but I'm doubting it. I am starting to think that they have to have Handcent on their device, which I think requires jailbreaking. Any way, it's something I'm keeping an eye on since if it did work like they're insinuating, that would be awesome.

But I'm pretty sure Apple has their system locked down proprietary so that on Apple devices will be able to use it. Have you checked if Viber will install on an iPad?
  5. Bluebriz

Bluebriz New Member

Have you tried out ebuddyxms instead of whatsapp? I find them very similar in a lot of ways, both cross format etc. But the Ebuddyxms ties in with (or at least can tie in with) your Facebook account. You don't need a phone number for it on Idevices, so it can be installed free on Idevice, android etc.

I don't know of anything that will connect directly to the apple service.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

My friends and I just chat over Facebook Messenger on our phones. Its easy, and almost everybody and any phone has Facebook anyway.
  7. electron73

electron73 New Member

GOOGLE VOICE !!!

Hands down the best ever. Works on iPhone, iPad, Android, even Mac OS (via GrowlVoice app) and from every browser !!

You can text any cell phone in the US/Canada for free, of course text between gVoice users (only using data, no SMS plan like iMessage)...

It uses PUSH on Android and iDevices. AND on top of all that you can receive and place real phone calls, just google for sipdroid :)
  8. curtst

curtst Active Member

Good luck getting the iPhone users to download and use anything else but iMessage. At my work I am the only Android user, and since we are a small office they use iMessage to communicate/coordinate with everyone. I suggested an app called GroupMe that works with both Android and iPhone but they all refused, not a single person even thought it was a good idea other than me.
  9. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Well-Known Member

Does Google Voice burn my cell minutes when making calls?
  10. pixaro

pixaro Well-Known Member

11. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Well-Known Member

12. Tijuanatom

Tijuanatom Active Member

13. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

Closed system = closed mind
  14. Machinehead264

Machinehead264 New Member

Might be some way to relay messages to android via the apple messages app (if you have a mac with 10.8) I agree, however, its a royal PITA how iphone users wont bother to dl any simple free cross-platform app.
  15. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

Isn't that the Apple way though? Even when they announced Facetime, they claimed that they would open it up, then never did.
  16. kwalla

kwalla Well-Known Member

Does GV handle MMS? When it does, I'll switch.. until then, it's simply not a viable piece of software for me.
  17. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

No, GV doesn't support MMS
  18. nanustud

nanustud Member

You can receive MMS on your GV number but only from Sprint the MMS is delivered to the email address attached to your GV number.
  19. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

I recommend GroupME. You can use it for setting up groups of your friends. When you send a message they will receive it a text message, long as they reply to that thread it will back to everyone in the group. Doesn't require them to do anything.
  20. JagShrapnel

JagShrapnel Well-Known Member

I am looking for something similar, closest seems to be a MightyText but not cross platform :(