• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android app to login to a website and start and stop the action

Py Guy

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
Hello!

I am absolutely new to android and web development. I would like to make an app which I can use to login to my account on a website (https://mijn.park-line.nl/bzp/DenHaag.asp) and to be able to start and stop the parking time. It should also show the time passed and notify every 30 minutes about it.

I am not looking for code (but of course, it would be nice to have some examples) at this moment but for some tutorial or a list of functions which I need to program to make such an app. If there is an existing application which I can modify for my needs, I can also try it.

I tried to search but the most of the content assumed for people with some knowledge of http post (I even do not know what it is) and others.

Please give me some hints or links where I can find such information.

Thank you.

As far as web services on your server... That would depend on what web server you are running. For the client (android) you can use the JSON library or JSOUP. Jsoup is really good at parsing xml.
To go into detail, I would use a key pair, for instance name and unique key for authentication simply because android is so insecure (I assume you are wanting to have access over 4g and such).
In android, and using jsoup, there is no state so you have to authenticate with each request.
The other way you can do it is to simply create an application with a webview. It just basically would turn your app into a web browser but you retain a little more control over it.
The best way for you to get a grasp is handy dandy Google. Search it by starting the search with android (keyword) example...
For instance: android jsoup example

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones